Just ordered an XL2... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 14th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just ordered an XL2...

... so be prepared for lots of newb questions. I'm hoping to get some shots of nesting seabirds next spring. I thought I'd get the camera now so I can learn how to use it.
Grant Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Congratulations! Have a good time with it, and keep us updated!
Gabriel Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Grant, you made a good choice for wildlife filming. Prepare yourself for some accessories. A good and steady tripod, maybe an ef-adapter and some good SLR lenses, to get near your objects!

But first of all, learn to know your camcorder, don't be afraid to try out the settings, there are lots of possibilites. And search this forum too!
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #4
New Boot

congrat on your new XL2. Welcome to the "XL2" family. :) You will love this cam.
James Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks,

I'm planning to get the ef adaptor soon - but first I want to learn how to use the camera. Too many thing to learn at once!

I have a manfrotto tripod that I picked up a few years back. It's a #144 tripod with #168 head. It's not very easy to adjust but it's certainly stable. I've been using it with my dslr+telescope at focal lengths of 2000-5000mm. Fortunately, nesting seabirds don't move around too much.

It's always good to see your work on this site, and good to learn a bit more about how you achieve your results.
Grant Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It's arrived :-)

:-)

:-)
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Congratulations on your new arrival! I'm sure you will use it well and often. We look forward to seeing your results sometime. That is one of the great things about this group; talented people sharing their work for all of us to learn from.

Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

have fun

Grant,

you will have a lot of fun using your xl2. Tere is a rather large learning curve to start with. The biggest job is getting the presets the way you want them. download blue barn and some of the presets. I like the black and white one for focusing, then I switch over to one of my other two presets I have put on the camera. With a little tweeking the technicoor preset is a good base to start with!!

better start buying tapes by the bulk!! Look forward to seeing some clips down the road!!!

Per Johan is right, an ef adapter and a decent lens or three will help.

I purchased an adapter for Canon fd lenses which you can get good deals on e bay as they arre an older lens. Of course it is all manual.
Knowing what I know now I will get a ef adapter and a 100 to 400 lens. I have a 100 to 500 fd lens and to be honest, beyond the 300mm things get rather shakey and then you realize you need a rail!!
Have a lot of fun!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land