Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #61
Trustee

Snow and rain here. Coupled with brown muddy landscapes doesn't make for a very photogenic setting. :)
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #62
Trustee

well, I'm done

footage, narration, music all in the bag

that gives me a week to ...
reshoot the crap footage
redo the crap voiceover
and pull a rabbit out of the hat to make it into something reasonable
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Have begun to edit my video today. Done the rough cut so far.
Seems like I have at least something useful, but I have already found some things I should have done different to make it much better.
Hopefully I can finish edit this weekend.

GOOD LUCK everyone!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #64
Major Player

It's today or nothing for me. Woke up to a bright sunny but cool morning the snow machines are ready, batteries are charged so we'll head out shortly. I have the shots mapped in my head now if I can just get them on tape into the computer and out the other end looking anything like I have things pictured I'll be a happy camper.

The reason I say today or nothing is the forecast shows snow and rain...yep rain right through until next week. This time of year rain means freezing rain layer after layer of it.

Wish me luck......I'll let you all know later today if I'm in the game or in the tank.

Brian

PS: Geir I've decided to go with the HV 30...like I need the added pressure.
B.
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay View Post
Wish me luck......I'll let you all know later today if I'm in the game or in the tank.
Good luck, Brian! Hope you get the shots you want.
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #66
Trustee

Quote:
PS: Geir I've decided to go with the HV 30...like I need the added pressure.
B.
Well, I baught my HV30 because I needed a smaller camera (not so heavy) on my mountain tours. The HV30 is OK, I've used it for 4 days now.
In my uwol8 film I will use film taken with both H1 and HV30. Still I have some more scenes to shoot before I can say I'm finished.
Wish you good luck Brian and hope the weather is on your side.

Geir Inge
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Where oh where has my spring weather gone ?!?

Like many of you, the weather is not doing my project any favors either. All of my critical shots are depenant on nice weather and my ability to get on location. The odds of that happening are not looking good at this point in the game.

I have thought about changing my topic, yet again (I'm on plan D now). This weekend would've been my opportunity to get my critical shots, if I can't get them then it looks like I may be out of this round. Bummer....
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Well mine is in the can, I decided to keep it rather simple. Most of my ideas had to be scrapped due to the 3 week time span of the project.

Transformation takes too long!
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #69
Major Player

(four Letter word) followed by (four letter word) followed by (four letter word) if anyone needs macro footage of a single piece of fur stuck to a damn lens just drop me a line and I'll send you the (four letter word) footage.

We packed up and headed out to the same area we used for the water theme...great drive not to cold, bright sun absolutely wonderful. Minor problem the LCD screen on the HV 30 is useless in bright sun but hey we have the eye piece that will work. I shot a ton of footage..enough good stuff I thought to get three minutes worth....NOT. A damn hair on the lens....my parks has fur around the hood which is great for keeping my face from freezing but not worth a damn when a piece ends up on the camera lens.

Time for plan B or it's in the tank for little old Brian.

"For sale Green Parka complete with Fur Hood Trim" See attached photo for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-parka.jpg  
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #70
Major Player

No Reasonable Offer Refused.....Okay take the darn thing you can have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-parka2.jpg  
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #71
Trustee

Quote:
We packed up and headed out to the same area we used for the water theme.
boy that looks cold - it must have taken you hours to find those rocks and stack them up like that :-)
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #72
Inner Circle

Quote:
Time for plan B or it's in the tank for little old Brian.
It's so sad when you have had a great day out in the wild, shooting all the footage you need, and then it's all ruined by one single fur.
Hope you can come up with a plan B, Brian. Don't give up yet.
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #73
Major Player

Lucked Out

Good weather two days in a row, unheard of this time of year but it did happen. It was much colder but still nice and bright. I took the XL2 a heavy tripod a snack and we headed out to an area where I have never filmed before actually it's an area that we normally just pass through never taking the time to look around. I got some good footage so I THINK I'm safe from the tank....said with fingers crossed.

Anyway the parka is no longer for sale but I did come across a northern three bedroom condo that's going cheap. If your interested drop me a line within the next two months after that well lets say I will have a wet spot to sell.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-iglu.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-iglu2.jpg  

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-iglu3.jpg  
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #74
Major Player

Transformation. Thought about it enough by now that if I'd just aimed the camera at myself from the introduction of this idea, my video would be done already. Theme seems easy enough. Go shoot a caterpillar or something. Not a UWOLer though, we've got to think outside the box. Pains in the a$$es. Headed out early this morning in typical UWOL fasion - always turning left where I'd normally turn right. Eventually I came upon a state park situated around a sunken ship made of concrete - once again, less than an hour from home - never even knew it was there. "Alright I'm game" I thought. Did some research, built a story, worked it all out in my pea brain, then headed out to find the ship.

It was over 100 years ago that some Norwegian guy had a bug up his kazoo to build a ship out of cement. Interesting idea. Mind you, I said "interesting" not "good." When steel went scarce his odd idea found a place, kind of. By 1920 over a dozen concrete ships were under construction. One, named the Palo Alto, was finished over in Oakland - where it sat for nearly 20 years. It cost 1.5 million dollars to build the Palo Alto (do the math on THAT one - 1910?). Finally some carnival company purchased it for probably seventeen dollars and towed it out to sea on what would not only be it's maiden voyage, but also it's final voyage. They sank it just off shore a few miles south of SantaCruz, then turned it into a restaurant/night club complete with a ballroom. That idea went bust as well, after only two moderately successful seasons. A few years later the ocean blue had it's filthy way with the Palo Alto's hull, and cracked it in two.

Today the Palo Alto exists in just about all the glory it's ever known. It's still by the shore, it's still aimed out to a sea it will never know, and it's still being pounded by the ocean blue. Only now it's not as much a ship as it is a wonderland for sea life.

And that was my story of transformation - concrete turned into a ship, then a ship turned into an aquarium - with lots of fish and bird poop worked in between. Only one problem, they built a chain link fence across the stern some years ago and now you can't get up on it. Not even to film...

Five days left, no plan B yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-paloalto01.jpg  
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #75
Major Player

I dove a wreck/ship like yours. This was in the Baltic Sea (where else?), and the ship hade a similar story too. It was built but never sailed, it sat in the harbour for years until someone came up with this Idea (I think it was a restaurant idea too) and started to tau the ship around Sweden from the east to west. A few days in to the slowly trip they got hit by a storm and they hade to cut the line to the concrete hull (‘cause it was not a ship…) and it sunk to the bottom in a second. Now it’s a popular dive site and a nice wreck to dive…
Thank for the story Eric, I hope you get a plan B (or se if you can continue on plan A).

Cheers from Sweden
Markus Nord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge