Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #91
Trustee

Well, I have about three seconds of footage so far. Today is do or die day.
I have about three hours to go to as many different towns to get some shots for an idea I came up with last night.
The weather is crummy so everything is going to look flat.

So, do I run around like an idiot for three hours and put up a crummy entry or do I do my usual and take a swim since I know I'm not going to get my cotton candy film like I like?
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #92
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
So, do I run around like an idiot for three hours and put up a crummy entry or do I do my usual and take a swim since I know I'm not going to get my cotton candy film like I like?
No more swimming, Kevin! We need your entries too.
Hurry out and see what you can get. I'm sure there must be something you can find.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #93
Major Player

Woohoooo I’m finished…

I shot the last pictures this morning and finished the editing 30 minutes ago, and now it’s uploaded. This round has been really fun. I have definitely gone outside the box and entered a new area for me, yes that’s right folk… a non UW film, even with out any water in.
I can’t wait until the deadline and we can watch all the films… weiiiii like a kid :)

Cheers from Sweden
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #94
Trustee

Well i've just got back from a days shooting. It was the first chance i've had to get out since this challenge started, so i must say i was happy to finally start something. It's now almost 2am & i've finished digitizing the footage from today & done a rough edit, but it looks like i will be heading out again tomorrow to get the rest of the shots i will need to finish my entry. Looks like it's going to be a long day tomorrow!
Hope everyone else is going well with their entries.

Bryce
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #95
Trustee

Well, I just got back from shooting caterpillars and butterflies at Epcot. I have no idea if my focusing was sufficient to the task, but it is an absolutely beautiful day. Abundant sunshine with the current temperature at 75 degrees on the way up to 84 degrees or so.

I know the topic is probably a bit trite considering the theme, but you know someone had to do it.

Oh well, time to capture and see how it all came out. Or maybe I'll head to the pool and edit tomorrow. No, first I check the footage to see if I need to go back tomorrow to try again. Then I head to the pool.
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #96
Major Player

Repeat after me...
"Don't pan with OIS turned on. Don't pan with the OIS turned on. Don't pan with the OIS turned on."

Arrrrgggghhhhh!
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #97
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
Repeat after me...
"Don't pan with OIS turned on. Don't pan with the OIS turned on. Don't pan with the OIS turned on."
Yup, did that too! Something else for the virtual cutting room floor... argh.

Worst of all is my voiceover recording, I've just completed that. Never mind the cringeworthy aspect of having to hear your own voice - I'm pretty sure the great voiceover talent of Hollywood doesn't get cramps squatting on the floor of a small wardrobe reading their script by torchlight!
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #98
Major Player

And I thought my hastily rigged VO "tent" collapsing on me a couple of times last UWOL challenge was the limit. Your description is just so funny :)

Hope you didnt get strangled by all those clothes - resulting in muffled sound in place of echoes!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #99
Trustee

It gets better. I need to re-record a couple of paragraphs and my torch battery is flat.

I wonder if I could start a small fire in there...?
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #100
Trustee

I bought a Rode Podcaster and it only picks up my voice, not the background. No more closets for me.
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #101
Trustee

Not sure why I'd want a Podcaster when I can have this luxury! Ssssh, someone's recording a voiceover in there. And I have a patent on that mic mounting, in case anyone's thinking of marketing it.

It would only be funny if I was 6 feet tall and built like a rugby player... which might explain the cramps!
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-1.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-2.jpg  

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8-3.jpg  
Old April 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #102
Major Player

And goal number one......Finish! Upload complete!

YeeHaa!!
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #103
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Spent half a day getting the last shot i wanted, only to cut them out in the end.

Put a wrap on the video today. The snow did not come as expected but I still spent most of the day working on it.

First download failed at 25 %.

Second download seemed way to fast so i suspect it did not go.

I am pretty pleased with this effort.

Can't wait to see others efforts!!!

Would be interesting to hear how much time you all spent in total to make your films.

Dale
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Quote:
Can't wait to see others efforts!!!

Would be interesting to hear how much time you all spent in total to make your films.
Well I had to really squeeze this one into my schedule in order to even have a shot at it. I think I spent about 3 days from start to finish on it. I wish I would have had more time but that's the way it goes sometimes.

My biggest challenge was trying to come up with a plan that could be shot and edited in 3 days or less.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #105
Trustee

Done! Just finished uploading.

Once I got started I put in parts of 2 days shooting, and much of the next two days editing and refining. Tonight I finished titles and did a render. Easiest render ever on one of these, in the past since nothing I had would ouput .mov I'd have to render to an AVI and then use QuickTime Pro to compress and convert to .mov.

This time I rendered straight to MP4 from the AVCHD clips on the timeline and it looks clean and sharp (and only 40MB too).

Be fun watching what the rest of you did!

Last edited by Bruce Foreman; April 20th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge