UWOL #8 Transformation of Scenery with Music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #8 Transformation of Scenery with Music

Well,

For my first entry I wanted to keep it short and simple. But I seem to have the longest title (LOL). The day I shot the footage I was trying to find something that looked green. I finally did on the second weekend after alot of rain. Anyway, please be gentle...

Oliver

http://www.blindchildproductions.com...With_Music.wmv
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:58 AM   #2
Trustee

HI Oliver,
They were really nice shots you had in your film. The music complemented it perfectly i thought too. Loved the rich browns, & loved the way it was starting to green up. It's a pitty these challenges are as short as they are sometimes, as i could see your transformation happening, i just think another couple of weeks would have seen an explosion of many more colours.
Well done.

Bryce
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Bryce,

Your scenery shots were quite nice. I would have liked to see more of a transformation in your scenery, perhaps going macro to where the first emegence of green. I realize it is really hard when everything appears dead and dormant!! This was one of the harder themes for a lot of people!!!!

Can't wait to see more of your work!! thanks for sharing your work!!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Bryce and Dale for your input. Things did look a little dead. It is greening up nicely now by me. The next challenge I promise more color.

Chow,

Oliver
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

Oliver, I will have to introduce you to Bruce and Dale, so that you can hold hands and repeat the mantra "428 x 240" -- which is our standard compression size for our contest files...

But hey, at least you have the excuse that this is your first entry!

Some nice shots here, very pretty, I liked the moon and the tree branch.

I know you perform your own music--did the images inspire the music, or did the musical selection follow the image?

I didn't find this dead at all -- to me, it more had the feeling -- and this was reinforced by the music -- of something on the verge of awakening. Not there yet, but a stirring. I liked that.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Nicely composed shots. Color was good on my monitor. Maybe a bit more adjusting of levels may have helped.
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Oliver,

Welcome to the UWOL family!
It is a nice video you made. I like the rack focus shot from 0:26. That's really cool.
I bet the area around that river will look really nice later this spring.

Well done!
I look forward to see more of your videos.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Sorry about that Meryem. I'll make a note of it since I would like to continue to participate in future contests. Thanks for your comments.

Hi Chris and Trond. Thanks for looking at my short and your comments. The area were I got the footage from is right across the street were I live and it does become very colorful in the summer.

Oliver
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Major Player

The footage was subtle but definitely gave the feeling of spring stirring. Given the short period of the challenge, you can't make it green if it isn't. But for me, I got the hint of spring, enhanced by your music. I really like your composition. What drives your video more, the sound or the image? Coming from an audio background myself (in nature sound), often I am more focused on the sound than most, both in producing and viewing videos. So I'm just curious about your own video production. Thanks for sharing!

Ruth
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Ruth. It was actually more music driven and a good excercise for me in timing sequences.

Oliver
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #11
Trustee

Oliver,

Excellent first entry. All the shades of brown and the bare trees just scream "Spring" to me - as if the landscape can't wait to turn lush and green. I thought I had a hard time finding a nice green environment, but you had your work cut out there!

The mix of music and ambient noise worked well - particularly when I realise that you're actually composing and playing the music.

The shot of the moon at the end with the out of focus tree in the foreground was a nice way to finish.
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Oliver
Welcome to the UWOL family.To be able to film record and produce all your own stuff is a talent all by itself.cant wait to see more of your work in future challenges
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Trustee

Oliver:

Welcome to the UWOL clan! I am always marvelously impressed with people who not only film and produce the video but compose the music as well. Very well done. And your editing skills are spot on and fit the music changes to a tee...

Looking forward to seeing what you do in UWOL 9.

Sincerely,
Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Major Player

Thank you Mike. I was desperate to find something green at the time. Now there is green everywere (LOL). Thanks for looking at my short.

John, thank you very much. I've got music gear up the wazoo. I might as well us it. Thanks for looking at my short and I am also looking forward to future challenges.

Hi Cat, I like that "UWOL clan". Thank you as well for looking at my short. I will see you at the UWOL 9.

All the best,

Oliver
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:32 AM   #15
Trustee

Hi Oliver.

Great first entry and I loved your music.
Ok, so you miss on the format/compression, but I guess next time (uwol9) your on the right track :)
I think sound/music is at least 50% of a film. Without it, the film will be very dull, if you ask me.

Looking forward to your next film.

All the best.
Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge