UWOL #9 -Wildlife Quest - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #16
Major Player

A restful video to watch John. I simply love being outdoors viewing and filming wildlife and this makes me want to pack my bags and head for the bush!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #17
Trustee

John,

Blimey, you have some big creatures round there! Nice selection of different animals. My favourite was the bird with the cool haircut at 00:48. I see it is a Crowned Crane from Ron's post.

You have some super close-ups, and I just can't get enough of the monkeys - even if I haven't a clue what type they are!

I do agree with what others have said about the watering hole making a great central theme, but that's the way it goes with these challenges - limited time, and sometimes you don't know what you'll get until you head out with your camera. We don't have weeks, months or even years like the BBC do!

The music fitted the piece well, but the mono soundtrack spoiled it a bit for me - I would have loved to have heard that in stereo. Also, a few cuts were a bit jumpy. A voiceover or a story would've added a lot to the film too.

But, I mustn't grumble! Overall, I really enjoyed that and you packed lots of great shots of interesting animals into it. What more can we ask for?
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #18
Wrangler

Hi John,

I can't imagine having access to that many exotic animals. Your video boggled my mind, but in a good way. I loved watching it.

Tell me about the trees at the beginning. Are those thorns???
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Having spent a fair bit of time in Africa, this footage brought back lots of great memories. I can't believe you caught so much wildlife on film in such a short time. As others noted, a narrative thread might have been helpful, but the footage on its own, coming and going around the waterhole, worked fine for me. Thanks for sharing this!

Ruth
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi John,

You deliver stunning footage of all those exotic animals.
Even though I didn't find any story (as many has commented already), I enjoyed just watching the animals. This was FUN to watch, and I bet you had fun making it too.
The music fits your video very well.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #21
Inner Circle

John,

For portraying a spectrum of wildlife you nailed it down! There were many superior shots, like the lion lying in the sun, eyes squinted relaxed and nibbling away at his meal!! As with all these videos it would be really nice to see them full resolution on a plasma big screen!!!!
While it did need something to tie it all together as others have mentioned it is an awesome video!!! I acutally like films like yours where I do not have to listen (all to often) to an irratating voice of oversimplified script ment for those with no knowledge.

The composition on your establishing shot was first rate!! the closing shot seemed a tad bleached but still a nice shot.

Thank you for sharing!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge