UWOL #9 -Wildlife Quest at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #9 -Wildlife Quest

Started out by trying to portray how wildlife all search for food in different places,but all drink from the same water hole.I found this water hole late in the day and could have spent more than a day here.Let me know what you all think!
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Trustee

Wow... John Dennis, you live in an amazing world. You certainly were on topic with this one. Were you out just roaming around to shoot this? Is it ever dangerous? It looks like it could be. You are really developing as a film maker! Nice selection of music and blend of animals. I could see why you could simply camp out all day at the water hole and just shoot it all there! Well done friend!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I feel that you hade a lack of story in you film, or I didn’t get it. To many different animal and not something that pulled them together. I would like to se more about a few animal and something about them. You hade some nice shot, like to se more.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Trustee

An amazing variety - but maybe Marcus is right in saying 'too many'

I wonder if we don't all make that mistake at times, we are used to seeing our own wildlife and want to show 'it all' rather than tell a story about one in particular. Boy I'd love to visit though!
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Trustee

Perhaps a voiceover explaining how they all used the same waterhole? Or, maybe even a title that pointed it out?

It does all tie together if you know the theme.
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

John: Because it peaked our interest so much, this film deserves a bit more explanation, voice over, or at least end credits regarding place and circumstances of filming. Film was beautiful, in terms of imagery and feel and subject matter is the ultimate in wild...
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Trustee

John, second what have been said about your entry. It seem to be a very busy waterhole with lots of action! Technically your scenes was very nice and stable to watch.
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey John

Well this was visually stunning and SO many species and such a beautiful landscape. On seeing the name of your film I was waiting for the 'quest' I have to say. Of course getting the footage is a quest in itself, I'm sure we all know that....but I guess sort of goal at the start might have set the scene better. That said it was a good piece to simply watch, relax and watch the wonderful world go by! Some shots needed stabilisation but I guess your shooting off the back of 4x4's on a lot of this which must be tough!

Great stuff fella....what a country!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Wow you live in an amazing area indeed. Thanks for taking the time to document it. I would like to know the name of the crested bird about 11 cuts into the film.

Nice job and some VO or even text would have made it that much better. Hope to see you in the next one.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Major Player

At first I thought I was looking at a zoo, but then it became apparent...these guys are real!
You don't really get the sense, watching all the African wildlife shows on TV, that all these animals live, and are accessible in the same place at the same time. You certainly conveyed that, even without a narrative. I like your composition too, it makes the land look familiar yet exotic all at once. I would like to see a film of all the small birds that inhabit this water hole. One thing, your transition with the ostriches near the end didn't seem to work right. Good job all around. Keep them coming.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

John, a nice mix of shots of African wildlife, which visit a drinking spot.
The Giraffe eating from the acacia tree was a very nice shot, it’s magic how it works it’s tongue around those long thorns to eat the trees leaves, I’d like to have seen a longer shot of the Grey Crowned Crane and the Ostridge or a few different angles.
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Regular Crew

A very nice film indeed,

I'll second what others have said about it needing a small amount of narrative or text to give the location and set the scene/context but the footage itself was brilliant. Really nice shots of the giraffe! having spent some time wandering through the bush in Malawi I know that whilst many people will think that in Africa these animals are easy to come across the reality is that it can take a lot of time and patience to see these big creatures let alone see them exhibiting interesting behaviour.

Well done for this entry. The African scenery warmed me on what is a disappointingly cloudy and cold June day here in England.

Pete
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi John,

As I'm sure you already know, you live in an amazing place.

I agree with Steve's comments about seeing this sort of stuff on TV or similar - you don't really think that it is accessible to us all.

Couple of things, you filmed the wildlife beautifully and certainly captured my interest throughout however, I would have focused on that water hole. I think that would have been a wonderful focus point to "tie" everything to. I also wouldn't have put in the plover shot or the crowned crane as they seemed to conflict with the wide angle plains type shots, which made up most of your movie.

I also would have loved to have seen you in the shot or heard from you at some stage. I think there would have been a lot of things happening that day, and I bet you wish you could share with us what happened here, and then there, etc.

I also picked up on the juddery transition towards the end which I think happens when your clips are not exactly butted up to each other on the time line (not too sure).

Great entry John - from an amazing part of the world.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #14
Major Player

John,

Wow...what world. So many different animals. I loved all the individual shots, especially the giraffe.
I already had read your comments, so I don't know if I would have got the story or not, but I still was fasinated watching it.

Only thing I noticed was that a couple of the shots were really short. Hardly had time to figure out what I was looking at.

A fine entry...thanks!

Bob
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #15
Major Player

John,

I looked at your film twice. The first time I looked at it I said to myself "Man, some people just have all the luck". The second time I looked at it and I thought that those are some great shots. It looks dangerous (the lion eating). It's not like here where you can just walk around and take shots of things. Did you take your shots from the safty of a vehicle or where you hiking. I like it.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge