UWOL #9: On The Wild Side by Cat Russell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Cat
Your video's are always fun and upbeat. everyone in my family always ask to see your videos first,and I am always in trouble because I download them in order from the web site and it takes a day or three to get to yours.I still love your creativity and your style of getting the story across.Good work
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

What an upbeat entry.

I wish I had hummingbirds in my garden. They're probably my favourite bird family and seeing them buzzing around your feeder was lovely.

Keep up the good work.
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Really super video Cat!

Your catchy tune and word art kept me riveted. I was waiting with baited breath to see what creative word you would come up with next and I was never disappointed.

Really enjoyable and entertaining - as we have come to expect from “The Screamin’ Baby Ranch”.

Although only a personal opinion - I think the family and friend hiatus in the middle should be taken out - your movie kind of loses the plot for one confusing moment.

Well done Cat.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #19
Trustee

Thanks for the comments everyone, I so appreciate them... complementary or critical, both types are needed.

John Dennis...thank you friend, I so look forward to your kind words and gentle spirit, not to mention the African world you bring me every other month!

Marj, Thank you for your comments! I'm thrilled the clip kept your interest up throughout... that's part of the battle. I'll remember your comments about the "family interlude" section next time I attempt a little humor. It was my modest attempt at a little joke, not getting wildlife to work well with the letter "F" with all these domestic animals... but unless you can pull it off really well so nobody is confused, it's best left out.

Thanks again everyone for the watch and the words.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #20
Wrangler

Hi Cat,

Okay, fess up. Did you play that funky music for those pigeons before you started rolling tape? ;) They were groovin' pretty well there.

We're practically neighbors so it's not like I wasn't used to the animals I was viewing, but you found some unique shots that I really appreciated. The squirrel out on the end of the branch was my favorite. And I can't remember the last time I saw a hive like the one you found--I was probably a little kid.

Because they played throughout it would be wrong not to talk about your titles. I don't know how you do it! I had to watch the video several times, because I kept thinking, "Man, I couldn't do all that. How's she doing that???" You really have a command of your titling program that I envy.

One more thing, I liked the montage (or whatever that would be called) at the end. It fit well with your overall look and feel.

Thanks for the entertaining video, and for your always-encouraging comments, Cat!
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #21
Major Player

Watched it first this this morning Cat. Nice way to start the day. Up-beat, and F U N. Probably a terrific piece for children too. Not sure if anyone brought this up or not, but I could see a room full of four year olds completely fascinated by this. Me? Well I AM a four year old so I was already captivated..
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #22
Trustee

Cat,

Well, new as I am to UWOL, I know to expect something different from you.

I don't mean to be rude, but that would be a great piece for kids' TV - it was kind of funky. That's funky in the jazzy, disco, cool sense, not funky as in smelly! (Gotta be careful on international forums like this, words have multiple meanings in different countries!). Like Rob, I don't think this is a bad thing - the presentation style is fantastic, and kids are a very hard to please audience for this sort of thing.

The critters were great, and nicely shot - but the graphics were something special by UWOL standards, and fitted the whole theme really well.

Good critter shots throughout. And you've got your own hummingbirds on the farm - you lucky ducky! I would love to have seen them a bit closer up though.

And you have a husband who takes you out on a goat hike? If I was a woman, that's the sort of man I would marry!

Really cool video. Well done!
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi guys:

Lorinda! I never saw the pigeons in that way before, but after you mentioned them grooving to the beat, I watched it again and... they were! That's hysterical! I didn't notice! And it's my own film :). Guess that answers your question about the music selection being for the pigeons or not.

And Mike and Eric, thanks for the comments. Many people are saying this stuff should be for kids, I'm getting that comment more and more frequently! I guess if you ever run across someone who's looking for these kind of films and has lots of funding, send them my way ;-).

Oh, and Mike... your comment about my husband taking me on a goat hike cracked me up! We walk our goats daily and since I work from the house I field them every week day and then my husband joins in with me on the weekends. But your right... husbands that put up with goat hiking are fun husbands to have!

Thanks for the watch, and the words.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

What a wonderfully whimsical film you made here Cat. I loved the dancing text it, was catchy but not overdone which is so easy to have problems with. I agree with Rob, in that this played to the "child" within me, don't take that in a bad way the time flew by when I was watching it. I wanted to see more!

Great short film you have here.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #25
Trustee

Cat the creative strikes again!

Nice format Cat and an interesting choice of life. That rattler shot was great. I got to a couple of feet away from my Adders but I have to say I wouldn't have done that with a Rattlesnake....great stuff! I am so jealous of having hummingbirds in your back garden....that would be the coolest thing ever to while a away the hours.

I don't think you needed the ....'and what does it spell' bit, that for me really focussed it on a film for kids, which I do think this would great for. Maybe you should send the local primary school a quick email and they can introduce it to there classes !

Anyway, great work and as always you bring a fresh direction to our uwol world :-)

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:03 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Cat, your short would be a great education slot to show young children although the rattler may make their eyes closed, nice creative graphics and music to match.

Congratulations being one of the finalist.
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #27
Major Player

Well, in addition to the pigeons grooving, I also saw the squirrel tail moving in rhythm to the beat, and the rattlesnake rattling fit in with the tempo, so the animals had a lot going on! The way you had the music and graphics pulsing together was effective- and amazing. A really fun film.

I think it could be used for kids- and they are a tough audience, so you should view that as a compliment. But it's good for all ages. The whimsy isn't just for kids- at least it shouldn't be.

As you note, and I find too, the UWOL gets us out and really searching, and sometimes we find things we otherwise wouldn't see. I get out to shoot video most days, but during the UWOL challenge I really push myself, going to places I don't usually go, and looking just a bit harder. That extra effort seems to pay off for all of us, and in this film your comments on seeing things you rarely or never saw before highlights this as a big UWOL plus!

I am always entertained by your films, and this one was great. I have a major focus on audio, so the way you played the sound off the graphics appealed to me. Wonderful fun!

Ruth
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Cat,

I have been on holidays, hence the slow response.

What a fantastic entry!! The editing was fantastic. I particularly liked the titles pulsating with the music!! How did you do that!!! all the shots were perfectly timed. the audio was appropriate to the pace!!!
the shots them selves were all first rate!!

I now realize I must not have an oucne of creativeness!! you put out such fun videos!!!!! Moved into my favorite 4!!!
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM   #29
Trustee

Hi Ron, Ruth and Dale!

Nothing like putting UWOL down thinking it's over until the next go around and coming back to your comments and participation! Thank you! You guys are great, still making it a point to view and comment on this.

Dale, hope your vacationing was a great one. And what do you mean no creativity? You? I love what you bring to the table! We all have something unique to contribute, no? That's why it's such a great group!

See you in UWOL X!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge