Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL X

Woke up this morning to dreary skies. Didn't see the point in traveling 2.5 hours one way to visit an area I've never been before with uncertain skies, so I decided to stay closer to home.

Headed out to some tallgrass prairie in a bit and see what's out there.

My plan is to try and capture some of the beauty of Iowa while I'm waiting to get a meeting set up with INHF and Prairiewoods. The footage I'm shooting today may not make the PSA but I figure it might also help spark conversation that would lead to a great idea for the PSA.

So, we'll see how today goes.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I just might have something...

Had an idea this morning while I was in one of the best thinking places... the shower. I kind of counted myself out of this challenge already, but I think my idea is simple and effective enough to make happen. It'll be tough because of my August schedule, but I'm on a mission to make it happen. Good thing is that my idea can be applied to virtually any "destination", so I shouldn't be too limitted in who I try to get to support this... just need to find someone that's interested.

Andrew
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I too immediately cast myself out of this challenge, but within about 50 minutes of reading the post, a thought came to me. One of two places which I could use.

So I sent my email off to the preferred centre and explained the situation. All I do now is wait...

...which I don't really like doing, I'd sooner get out there and film something.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

A vague idea is slowly entering my head.
Think I have one or two organizations I can contact tomorrow.

It will be tough, real tough, but that's why it is called a challenge, right.
To me, this round will be all about trying something I have never tried before.
Been in the shark tank once, and didn't like that at all, so I have to do my very best this round to avoid that place.

GOOD LUCK everyone! It will be fun to see what you all come up with.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Major Player

I also sent off an email to a small organization and I am waiting for a reply. I'm looking for more. Not in the shark tank yet....

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Bit quiet out there in UWOL - Land??? How's it going guys?

Sent a few emails to some "really" different organisations, and have my first meeting tonight, hopefully it'll be a great match and the chance to get close to a furry creature that I have only ever seen stuffed before :-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sent an email out Monday night and got a positive reply Tuesday morning. Tentatively we are scheduled to meet at 3pm on Wednesday (tomorrow). I'm going to storyboard my ideas tonight so they can see what I'm envisioning, but I'll also let them know I am willing to consider ideas they might have.
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've not had any joy with my email yet, if I've not heard anything by tomorrow I'll call them. I so hate doing things in person, I'm not a people person, that's why I like wildlife so much! They don't say no (they just bite!)
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Good Afternoon,

Well, I drove 4 hours to get to the film site to meet up with the director and shoot some film. A young fellow had a neck injury and we got absolutely nothing done. He is going to be all right but I now have to make another trek back there this friday. Hopefully the next day will work out!!

There is always something to keep it interesting. While the director is keen some of the board members are not so keen.

Treading water,

Dale
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Russ, sounds like you and me would get on fine - I'm not a people person either!
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Just got out of my meeting with the "sponsors" and things went well. They are very excited about this, which is very cool. I "pitched" four different ideas/concepts. In general they seemed to receive them all very well, but had 2 that they thought matched-up well with some of the programs they have. (I'm glad I researched their website and brochures while I was brainstorming.) Long story short... I now need to try and merge the two ideas into one, as they thought the two ideas fit together nicely. Now to try my hand at a more detailed storyboard of the concept...
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Oh dear...

Hi

Both my sponsors came back with a "sorry but no" response, so that looks like me out of the judging :( Darn those humans! darn them all to hell, lol!

Not too sure if there is anyone else around these parts which could be approached. More than likely I'll film an entry anyway but I'm downhearted about this one so I'll have to see how things go.

Sorry folks

PS Hi Annie!
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Major Player

Dude, don't give up the gun so easy!!!

There must be tens of conservation/nature groups around you, do a google and put a few feelers out!!!

Well my first "meeting" actually turned into a full blown filming session, observing to a certain extent but also getting 3 minutes of good footage. Also turned out to be a magical experience ( it finished at half midnight though, yawn! ) and the people involved are so committed and passionate to their cause. Fantastic!!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Expect that I will not make this one-- my first miss,,, as I am ramping up for a 48hour competition, on 15th...
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #15
Major Player

Got a meetin'

Hey all,

Just heard from the local trails association who liked my pitch (via e-mail). I will be meeting with them next week and begin production shortly there after. I offered to put out a PSA for free and gave them an idea for a commercial that would increase interest in our local trails. The president of the organization called a few minutes ago and she was impressed and excited for the opportunity.

Does anyone have any pointers on meeting with professional organization? I have never pitched an idea for a film in front of a group and I may need some advice on how to conduct a meeting…any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

So...anyway, I was thinking that we could throw some ideas out there for people struggling to come up with an organization to pitch their ideas to….

For example I thought about pitching ideas to:
Local Museums
Trail association
Groups for people with disabilities accessing the wilderness
Local Sierra Club
Local wilderness protection agencies

I kept searching these threads looking for ideas, so I decided to throw some out there for others who may be in the boat I was in…instead of jumping over board into shark infested waters.

Jeff

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge