Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #76
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
Marj... I'd like to hear a little about your animation. In a perfect world my film would include some (plate tectonics and sedimentation and other geology kind of stuff) but I think that IS biting off too much for me right now.
Hi Chris:

Maybe not! I've stepped away for a bit from the forum and am just now skimming through people's posts. My husband has his own business called Computer Terrain Mapping, Inc computer terrain mapping home page and he is really good at geographic animations. My February entry will almost be exclusively an animation he has generated to help me visually describe the layout of the Rocky Mountain National Park region, the topic that I have chosen for my project. If you visit his web site and view his animation samples and like what you see, perhaps we can help you out in your tectonic animation? I don't know for sure, but it's worth trying out if you are interested. Keep in touch on this. This is the fun part about this forum! We can co-work with each other whenever the circumstances fit!

Cat

p.s. Thank you for your gracious offer to host me in Montana if I were going with the Bison theme. Now that would be the place to go and film Buffalo!
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #77
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
Marj... I'd like to hear a little about your animation. In a perfect world my film would include some (plate tectonics and sedimentation and other geology kind of stuff) but I think that IS biting off too much for me right now.
Hi Chris:

Maybe not! I've stepped away for a bit from the forum and am just now skimming through people's posts. My husband has his own business called Computer Terrain Mapping, Inc computer terrain mapping home page and he is really good at geographic animations. My February entry will almost be exclusively an animation he has generated to help me visually describe the layout of the Rocky Mountain National Park region, the topic that I have chosen for my project. If you visit his web site and view his animation samples and like what you see, perhaps we can help you out in your tectonic animation? I don't know for sure, but it's worth trying out if you are interested. Keep in touch on this. This is the fun part about this forum! We can co-work with each other whenever the circumstances fit!

Cat

p.s. Thank you for your gracious offer to host me in Montana if I were going with the Bison theme. Now that would be the place to go and film Buffalo!
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #78
Trustee

oopppps.....Cat you spammer you ;-) !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #79
Trustee

You caught me Mat! I apologize all, for posting that twice!! I was having trouble uploading comments and I didn't even know that it uploaded at all much less twice!

Now, I was wondering.... since this is an international forum, should we all use the same numeric system, such as meters and kilometers instead of feet and miles?

Just wondering...

Cat
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Now, I was wondering.... since this is an international forum, should we all use the same numeric system, such as meters and kilometers instead of feet and miles?
I think this is a brilliant idea Cat!
Then we all speak the same language, and what about temperature, celsius better than fahrenheit?

EDIT: I know there are lots of free converters out there, for those who have to convert...

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; February 13th, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added text
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Good afternon,

Having grown up in the imperial world of feet/etc. Moved to the SI world, I must say that celsius is a better system.

A few key points.

0 Celsisus = 32 f Freezing obviously

28 c equals 82 f

-18 c equals 0 f

Celsius to Fahrenheit:

-40 C equals -40 f

Colder than that Who cares!!

Celsius= (F temp -32) x .555

To do in you head subtract 32 from farenheit temp the multiply that by 5 and then divide by 9, pretty easy really.
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #82
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
To do in you head subtract 32 from farenheit temp the multiply that by 5 and then divide by 9, pretty easy really.
Speak for yourself Dale! I had a career in the atmospheric sciences at NOAA for 16 years and I never was able to convert in my head that readily!

O.K., if both Per and Dale have bought in, then I'm sold. I'll do everything metric and Celsius and conform to the rest of the world (like we should have done a long time ago!).

Cat
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #83
Major Player

Try getting stuck between the two.

We have distances and speed in miles, weights in a mixture of kilo's and pounds, likewise measurements in inches and cm's still......

Still, in another few months sterling will be parity with dollars and euros!!! That's a bit easier to figure!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #84
Trustee

We've had plenty of snow the past days and this morning I tried to film some of the little birds on our feeder. Then suddenly a little mouse came jumping out from no where. I didn't managed to get it on tape, but I figured that maybe it was out to get some of the food on the feeder :) My camera was placed in the living room, where we do have a slide (?) door out to our terrace where the feeder is placed. Then as sudden as the mouse came out from no where, there was an ermine (short-tailed weasel or stoat). I tried to film it, best I could but is was fast and I couldn't get it in to focus. Then it dissapeared for a while and after a few seconds it came out from under our terrace with the mouse in it's mouth. I'm not sure if I can use it in my long form video, but it sure made my day :)
Two screenshots and a videoclip from the start of my Valentines day.

ermine-stoat

Geir Inge
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-royskatt1.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-royskatt2.jpg  

Old February 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #85
Trustee

Very nice footage of the weasel/stoat. Not an easy subject to film!

I'm at work this weekend, but of duty next week. Out in the wild for a whole week, can life be better :-)
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #86
Trustee

What a cutie Geir !!!.....well at least until he has the mouse in his jaws! The stoats and weasels certainly are powerful hunters contary to their size and looks.

Great stuff
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #87
Trustee

Thank you Per and Mat.
Well, I live on an island and in fact I didn't know we had stoats living next door, and I've been living here for 16 years know.
Now my aim is to search for it's lair, maybe I'll catch it's family on tape :)
We do have a little forrest/wood of spruce (fir) near by, maybe in there somewhere?
Today the rain set in and I had plans for a tour, country cross skiing - no chance :(

Geir Inge
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #88
Inner Circle

Geir,

What a wonderful bit of footage!!! Great when things happen like that!!
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Bust

Well, we were out for the most part of all day yesterday shooting footage. It was about -20 with no wind for a change. Had my polar bear on the camera and boy does that make a difference!!!

With the high humitdty there were ice crystals in the air and that made the auto focus not have a clue!!! The manual was not much better as the image in the view finder looked slightly foggy!!! The falcon I did get a bit of was white on the underside and that with a pale blue sky that was foggy was grim.

I did get some people footage that may be useful, for the most part a full day and a tank of gas down the drain!!
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #90
Major Player

Great stoat shots their Geir Inge!

Here is a video that was on the bbc website last week - a stoat "going mad" in the snow that we had!!
BBC NEWS | UK | Snow-crazed stoat 'goes berserk'
Rob Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge