Question for the Long Form Community... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #31
Major Player

Sorry to reply so late - I have been out of it for some time now due to computers crashing round me.

This thread started out as a question for long form players and has developed into something else which at this point I will leave to all of you to work out.

However, to answer the question re DVD's - even if it is purely academic at this stage as no one here knows who will make the top five - I am happy in principle with the DV idea with a proviso - that if all else fails I can send a data DVD (via courier) to you to load onto your computer and to cut to DVD for me.

The reason: Firstly I have not had much success to date with sending a movie via ftp - seems to get lost somewhere in the ether so there is no guarantee I will succeed this time especially with such a big file; secondly, I cannot for some reason cut a 16:9 DVD for playing in a DVD player (I have tried on numerous occasions but it always turns out with the sides cuts off even though every possible setting I can find is set to 16:9.) and thirdly because I haven't had time to go into this problem I can't guarantee that I will be able to solve it within ten days after all this is over.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #32
Trustee

Hi Meryem:

Is it possible we will have a final decision today as to the long form final format requirements?

Thank you,

Cat

Also, Is the deadline strictly on the 15th, or do we have a window of a few days starting on the 15th?
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

to busy to go into any length here, working on the final edits and add ons at this time, If we consider there are going to be quite different lengths of various projects it does in fact make sense to have the parameters be set in bit rates as apposed to a set gigahertz value.
I can see I maight not even get submitted if it gets to complicated.

I liked the idea of sending a blu ray or dvd in.

As for posting on the uwolchallenge web site, just tell me what to do!!

Add on: I rendered my first 30 minutes (I have more to add yet) and after reducing the bit rate I ended up with 600 mb.

HUmmmmm???

Last edited by Dale Guthormsen; November 13th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
I cannot for some reason cut a 16:9 DVD for playing in a DVD player (I have tried on numerous occasions but it always turns out with the sides cuts off even though every possible setting I can find is set to 16:9.)
Marj, if you can't make the DVD in correct format, I'll be happy to help you. I only shoot/edit and make 16:9 DVD's all the time. (So far I am only doing DV and not HDV myself, but it shouldn't matter)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #35
Major Player

Thanks so much for your offer Tronde , however, at this point in time no one knows who will make the top five. I am still trying to get my film finished never mind up to par. :}
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #36
Wrangler

just sent round an email with final instructions...look for it, and shoot me an email if it doesn't get to you within the hour...

i'll be out working most of today, so you can always email each other, if you missed the email and forward it on to each other...i don't want anyone to miss out on precious time because the next four days are packed very tightly for me, until Wednesday.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #37
Major Player

Mike or Mike,
Thanks so much for posting (or pointing to) compression suggestions, which I had not seen, being away from a computer for two weeks. Do either of you have an answer to the frame size vs file size question. I have read online that the frame size has nothing to do with the final file size. I have found that to be true sometimes, but at other times there seems to be a file size reduction proportional to the frame size reduction. Puzzling.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #38
Major Player

Hi Steve. I’m not sure why it works. My tests with PP2 and Squeeze support Mike’s findings. Perhaps the scaling and compression algorithms are more efficient when not used in tandem? (Marj is right. This thread has taken a left turn. Sorry Meryem.)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #39
Major Player

Following Mike's directions, I was able to convert my 50 minute video to a 257MB file that looks and sounds good. The only changes I made were with the Quicktime part, which would have taken 24-30 hours to render. By using Adobe Media Encoder set to Windows Media 9, and mimicing Mike's settings, the product (750MB) was done in two hours (with two passes). By taking that to Wondershare Platinum (US$36.00), I was able to get a 257MB .mov file in another hour. If anyone wants details, e-mail me at oporornis@yahoo.com, or I will post them if there is larger interest.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge