Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Trustee

Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm

My plan is to make a film from different locations in the area where I live, but mainly it is about the seabirds. This is Sunnmore, it contains the famous Alps of Sunnmore, many fjords and the wild and rugged coastline on the mid west coast of Norway.

I have not decided yet, but my plan is to follow the breeding season of the puffins at Runde Island, and the breeding season of the seabirds round the islets of Kvamsoy.
Two different places and where I have made some uwol short videos.
Why?
I have made some shorts about seabirds, so I know where to find my objects and I know some facts about these birds. Also the breeding season of the puffins and some other seabirds failed last year. Much because of too little food/fish in the sea. The puffins left the nest right after the chicks came out of their eggs. How will it end this year?

These first clips showing my locations at Sunnmore and I couldn’t resist, I just had to put some heavy techno music to it :) This will not happen in the final version.

The uploader failed when I tried, so I give you a link here:
In Quick Time: GIBB1
In Mediaplayer: GIBB1

The downloadable doc is showing a rough plan for my idea.

I will fill in as the “Long Form Uwol Year” proceeds.

Wish all of you good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: doc WILD ON THE SHORE long form.doc (30.0 KB, 306 views)
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Wow Geir,
This looks really exciting. I can't wait to see what you put together for this one! The shots you have so far look absolutely stunning. You live in a really beautiful part of the world, & you show it off so well.
Good luck with your project,
Bryce
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Geir Inge,
what a stunning visual film you made there! I think your idea is nice too. I know you are tied up in studies and work, but I think this project is manageable for you to do!?

And I think the techno music emphasize your visuals in a good way too...!

Stay warm!
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Way to go Geir!

A great singing voice to add to all of that film-talent. Nice to have you back.

I hope the Puffins are successful in their breeding this time. I'm sorry for the chicks last year.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Geir,

such beautiful imagery!! And I do like the music, kind of nice that it isn't all that sirene meloncholy stuff!!! the heavy beat at the water falls is cool.

Great stuff.
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Wow, that's some nice scenery. And good footage of it. Can't compete with the visuals in this - better hope I can make a compelling story out of mine.

Looks like there is a lot of good scope for filming, I'm sure we'll all await the next installment.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Hollo Geir Inge.

You speak about eye fore beauty. I most say from my view, you have
some of the best all over video-photo here in this forum.So I really lock
forword to your film.

All Best
VJV.
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Major Player

You have made a beautiful film already. What a scenery you have around you.
I am looking forward to see more of the nesting cliffs.
You have made cool music to the film, but I think you will profit on a different style in the final version.

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Geir.... beautiful images. I am excited to see what you bring us in your endeavor here. What a beautiful place you have to film in there.

The music... you know what? I kind of found it a tonic and I enjoyed it with the images. Now that is not to say I recommend you stay with it, but every now and then we need to have something different... I know this film was a placeholder (as it has been for most of us), but the beautiful images and the music and lyrics did it for me. Thank you!

Chris

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; February 25th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Trustee

Good morning.
Thank you all for nice comments on my little intro film :)
First, as I've told earlier in this tread, I can assure you that I will use another type of music together with original sounds and of course narration, further on in this competition :)
As I said my plan is to follow the breeding season at Runde and at the islets of Kvamsoy. It has not started yet, so I had to put simething together fot this start up round. I didn't want to show all old clips either so I did a "quick step" around my area and took some shots to show. There are a few shots from last yearthough, in the end showing me and a view of the fjord.
Sorry Finn but I did not have a view from Runde in this film, but I can assure you it's a great place to be when all the seabirds arrive in the spring.
In my case I have decided to use information from this report (http://www.birdlife.no/fuglekunnskap...ofugl_nina.pdf ) At the end the report has some sites with english readers, and the Seapop (The SEAPOP programme - a milestone for the mapping and monitoring of seabirds in Norway — SEAPOP).
I'm not sure that my film will turn out with an happy ending, but I do hope so.

Thanks again for comments.
Geir Inge
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #11
Major Player

Except for that fact that I don't cope well with the cold, your film makes me want to go there, and see it all for myself (ok, I've been to Finnish Lapland, I know it can be hot in mid-summer). Now I've seen the wider view (the landscape) I want to see the details. And seabirds - the puffins here have been doing fine, but I want to know what is going on elsewhere. When I first saw puffins in 1981 I read at the time about the failure of breeding on the Lofoten Islands . . . . so you are getting the message that I want to see and know more so I am eagerly waiting for your completed film, and whatever bits and pieces you offer in between now and then.

And the music was superb with the water flowing.
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Trustee

Thank you Annie for comments.
In 2007 I had visit of my dear friend Per Johan and we did some shooting together,
both at Runde and at the Islets of Kvamsoy.
In this little short of mine you will see some of the cliffs, puffins and gannets at Runde.
It's a little peek of what to expect Annie.

Enjoy :) Puffins By Geir Inge Brekke On ExposureRoom
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Cool stuff. As a teaser, I actually really like the music that goes with it. Can't wait to see those puffins
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Geir Inge,
I loved your video (as usual). I hope both you and the birds have a very successful season this year. How wonderful that your brother-in -law helps you with the boat. If I had to rely on any of my brothers-in-law to get to a shoot I’d be hitchhiking!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM   #15
Trustee

Thank you, Mike and Mihali, for nice comments.
My brother in law is a great guy, always helping out.
My Uwol Long Form (ULF) video nr 1 is not telling that much of what my concept is all about, just showing the area I intend filming in.
My number one concern is the amount of time I can use on this ULF project.
As a “young” student, (haha, couldn’t resist using that word as I'm reaching 50 this year), my priorities is work and studies, but I think I’ll work it out some how.
Forth coming week and next weekend the weather forecast promise sunny weather, and that’s great as I have some spare time to use on filming.
I have plans to visit the Islets of Kvamsoy. This is also the season of cod fishing in the fjords, and I will bring along my rod, just in case...
My aim is to follow the mating of the seagulls, at Storholmen one of the islets, and I will check if “my” Kittiwakes,
breeding in an old sea house, is back in business (from my uwol short "Born by the sea").
Of course I’m anxious to try out my new equipment for my XLH1 camera, the ZR-2000 zoom remote control.
Expensive – YES, prized round about 770 USD, (Norwegian prize), but this way I think I will get some steady focusing shots and zooming pans and tilts.
Attached is a picture taken last summer from The Islets of Kvamsoy, showing where to find different species.
Of course there is several other birds, like the White-tailed Eagle and several little birds.
The picture of the islets, is facing South and I’m standing on top of Kvamsoy.
I will also be filming North of Kvamsoy, (see attached picture named “Ristesund”), where you can find a special habitat.
In a rotten mass of sea weed (on land that is) different kind of birds finds their food.
This is when bird migration occurs, (springtime/autumn).

Ok, that’s it for now.

Geir Inge :)
Attached Thumbnails
Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm-islets-kvamsoy-1.jpg   Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm-ristesund.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge