Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #46
Major Player

Wow, Geir ! I loved everything about it. Gorgeous opening pan, and all the pans were excellent. The choice of music works very well for me, and I really enjoyed your accent in the English narration. very clear and enjoyable to listen to.

I am anxiously awaiting your finished product. If this is an indication, it will be splendid.

All that said, the only part of the film that didn't work for me as well as the rest was the closeup of the bird. It wsn't as striking as the rest of the piece, and seemed to be a little long..

Overall however, excellent, really excellent! I'd love to see it on Vimeo in HD.

Chris Swanberg

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; September 14th, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Geir,

It was a nice watch and I did not see anything i would take out! It is a bit of a teaser as i am waiting to see more of the birds. Very nice to be certain!

I am sure the finished product will be outstanding if it is as good as this piece.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #48
Major Player

Hi Geir

I do hope all your studies have been working out well and that you will be able to find enough time to finish this beautiful film. The scenery is breathtaking as usual, and there are some lovely details of flowers and birds as you make your way to find the Great Skua.

I really like the font you have used for your titles Geir. It is both elegant and informal - really well suited to the style of your film. What is it called - could do with that in my font folder?
Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #49
Major Player

Many thanks Geir - got your mail.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #50
Trustee

Thank you Chris, Dale and Marj for comments on my ULF4 video.

I'm struggling a bit to find exactly how I'm gonna make my final entry (the whole video).
Though our deadline is in november, I have to film a bit more next year. It's very important for me to get more scenes from the breeding season, chicks, but also combat scenes between different birds. I so deeply want to film the Great Skua when it is chasing other birds (air combat) and steeling their food. I have seen it many times at Runde, but never got it on tape. So I think I will give you a short version as my final ULF video, with a length around 20 to 30 min, and it will be about seabirds.
It's kind of funny how this ULF have brought me to think in other terms than when making 3 min videos for UWOL, and I like it :)
When it comes to my exams, I've passed two of them allready :) and my final (this year) is on 4th november.
The font Marj was asking about is Pristina and found in my prg Total Deko Pro, following my editing software Avid Liquid Pro.
I'll post the vimeo link again, as I now understand it will be playable direct from our forum, that's cool :)

Old October 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #51
Trustee

Geir. Wonderful. Almost like a fantasy. Besides well framed and steady footage the music was just perfect. Team Norway is definately in play. I can see the competition really heating up. Great job!!! Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #52
Trustee

Hello Geir:

This is simply beautiful. I love it. The music gives it such an easy and flowing feel to it, and like Marj, I think the font is classy and works well. When the title "Seabirds" comes up next to the close up of the Pippin... it takes my breath away.

Now, about your other comments about needing more time for filming after the deadline. It turns out (from the thread "bowing out" I put up a month ago) most of us feel this way also. I for one am going to keep working on my movie for the next year. So, as Mat says, the UL entry is becoming a sort of rough cut for what is to come. We are going to still post and get feedback from those who are interested in continuing on. So join the club. It's funny how after a year's worth of work, most of us feel we need more time!

All the best with your film!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #53
Major Player

Geir Inge- I watched your Round 4 entry back when you posted it but I have just realized that I neglected to comment. Sorry about the delay. Things have been…interesting… lately! Like so much of your work, I really enjoyed this one. I especially liked the shots of you at work behind the camera. I think they add a lot to the atmosphere of the piece and help the viewer feel like we are there with you. Did you shoot that all yourself or enlist the aid of another cameraman? Good luck on November 4. I am confident that you will do as well as your last exams! I am looking forward to seeing the best of the Pine Martin footage.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #54
Trustee

My goodbye to ULF

Hi to all of you.

First I have to thank you all for support and feedback.
Without you I couldn't have accomplished what I've done so far.
This goes for both ULF and UWOL, you are all a bunch of great people and for you to know, there is a little bit of you, in every single one of my videos participated in these two challenges. That’s why I also consider you to be my friends. Even though I only have met two of you, Per Johan and Trond, I feel like I know you all – and it is a good feeling :)
Because of my studies I know see that I have to make priorities and priority number one has to be my studies and my family.
I have hours of video on tape, from the very beginning of UWOL and up to now and I will use some of it in my future ULF video, because I will try to finish it, but in my own terms.
I’m not sure when it will be finished; still I have some scenes to shoot, like combat scenes, feeding scenes, etc, etc. I also wish to put in some predators like a fox, mink and pine martens. Also I’m a bit unsure how to make it, like series or just one part, let’s say around 60 min. It will be in Norwegian only and I will try to sell it to NRK (our national TV Company).
This little short is raw material from this years shooting, it's my sad goodbye to ULF.
I will try to follow you in this forum and if time let me, I might consider participating now and then in Uwol.
Hopefully I will be here in 2012 too and then as a Social Educator of profession :)
A special thank you goes to you Meryem for keeping this challenge open, you are just one of a kind.
God bless and all the best to you all.
Geir Inge

Old November 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #55
Trustee

Hi Geir:

O.K. So now you've gone and made me tear up, especially at the end. I miss you already! Keep posting your continued works in progress next year, for most of us too will be doing this. I don't think anyone in the long form feels like their film is complete.

You have brought us the very best, both in your filming, your beautiful homeland and all that you are.

I hope that someday there can be a uwol reunion of sorts, and we can finally be with fellow uwolers in person!

Best,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Geir,

I spent a life time in Education, an education is never wasted and it always opens more doors. I hope you come back and join in as time permits. I love your work!!!
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #57
Trustee

Geir, your entry will be missed. We all wish you the best and can't wait to see the final, whenever you get it finished. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge