UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe!

(Just don't want to clutter up the sign up/theme threads)

My biggest tale of woe is I can't take part in this, I am off travelling in a couple of days.

Meryem, I would just like to thank you for all the hard work that you have put in for UWOL over the years. You and the participants have inspired me to get out there, make films, and generally improve my techniques, so I am now "less amateur" than before.

You deserve a break and from the looks of it you have plenty of exciting projects to work on.

UWOL has brought tears, laughter, plenty of "wow" moments, jealousy of other people's skills and environments, and an over-proliferation of incredibly talented and good-looking Norwegians. Where else would you get it? And for free, as well!

Thanks again, from the Emerald Isle!

Last edited by Mike Beckett; September 1st, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

Glad to see Wonder and Woe is already up and running...

You're welcome, Mike. I'd also invite you and anyone else who already has played the game to submit a non-competitive entry, if you just want to play along...the more the merrier.

In my nostalgic review, I should have also included all the UWOL-induced injuries - infected foot, sprained ankles, shoulder injuries...you people play to win.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Trustee

UWOL #16 gave me a nettle sting that took a month to go away completely.

Never send an Irishman out in shorts!
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I woke up early to read the theme, clicking on the link was like opening up a present on Christmas morning. Then I went out back to watch the sunrise. Renewal. A great theme Meryem.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Began new job today, well same job as before, just different airport. Got tons of stuff to read and learn the next month. Hopefully I find time for this interesting theme as well. Can't fail Meryem's last uwol.

Mike, bring the camera with you. Maybe you find a minute here and there to shoot something.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Trustee

Mike, sorry to hear that you canŽt participate! And thanks for your comment about good looking Norwegians. At my age comments like that is heartwarming :)

Well, I have been thinking very much the last day about this mysterious theme Meryem picked for this round! As english not being my tongue language, I have some difficulties finding what RENEW means to us uwolers! Could someone please enlighten me?
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Per:

Ah yes! Playing in a second language gets challenging sometimes! You Norwegians are so good at writing and speaking English, we forget this.

Our English dictionary gives some other words for renewal: revive, restore, renew, refresh, renovate, rejuvenate. Does this help at all? So renewal is like making something new again. It is also like starting again on something, like to repeat over.

So Meryem has handed out quite a wonderful theme, because there are many different ways you can approach it! Nicely done!

Hope this helps Per! If not, shout out and we will try again!

Cato

P.S. Come on Mike! What could be more "renewing" than traveling! We know you'll have your camera along, so just fire back a little something for fun!

Also, in response to some comments in the now closed sign up thread:

1) Victor, the goats are doing well! Zac, one of the twins, was bit on the ear by a rattlesnake earlier this summer but is doing fine! I'm afraid rattlesnakes are a part of summer life around here.

2) Ruth! I'm thrilled you have signed on! We have so much catching up to do, don't you think? I've missed you!

3) Bill... don't you think the shark tank is sufficient humiliation than also having to wear a "scarlet letter" of "bark is worse than bite"? Where is your mercy? ;-)
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Major Player

I hope we don't need too many of these...
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe!-dog-picture5.jpg   UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe!-dog-picture-7.jpg  

Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Trustee

Well I'm travelling light, so editing and uploading is the problem. I'll miss the deadline, but if I can manage something then you never know - better late than never!
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Mike, all kidding aside, we don't want to miss out on a good Irish tale, so here's hoping you can get some footage from your travels to share. The film 'A Volcanic Journey' was a good one.
By the way there is a photographer on the west coast of Ireland you may know, and there is a short film about him posted here you might enjoy:

YouTube - Short Stories - DARK SIDE OF THE LENS
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Trustee

HA! ... and what an adorable pooch! :)
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Trustee

Well, I've come up with a story idea.
I've also come up with a shot that I think would be super sweet but very difficult to pull off and have it look right.

So, I guess this weekend will be spend seeing if it's even possible to shoot what I see in my head.
I've seen it in mainstream movies before but I haven't seen any "indie" type films pull it off.

Will try to think of an alternate shot that will convey the same idea but not as complex to pull off in case I can't figure out how to do this one.

Might have to call in some people to pick their brain on how to pull it off.

But I think it's a solid story, something that a lot of my fluff pieces lack. So imagine that, a fluff piece with a story. Huh, who would have thought? :)
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post

Our English dictionary gives some other words for renewal: revive, restore, renew, refresh, renovate, rejuvenate. Does this help at all? So renewal is like making something new again. It is also like starting again on something, like to repeat over.
Thanks so much Cato, that helped me a lot :)
Time to go into the think-tank, IŽll be at work this weekend, but next week is laying ahead just waiting for some recording options!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:26 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Nice pictures, Bill!

I'm busy with work the next week. Hopefully I can find time to start thinking about uwol by next Friday.

Good luck to everyone!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Good Evening,

Leave it to Meryem to come up with the toughest theme in my book!!

I have only thunk up one idea and it would be far to familiar for the crew to have to watch.

We spent 4 hours in the vehicle today and the wife and I hashed it about, nothing yet!!!

Hoping you all have better ideas than I do!!!

Arre you Pondering what I am Pondering?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge