UWOL 25- A Skyline Monument to a Big Idea Gone Bad by Chris Barcellos - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 6th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: UWOL 25- A Skyline Monument to a Big Idea Gone Bad by Chris Barcellos

Chris, I agree in what already said.
Your film with the dominating cooling towers is a reminder of an historic event from media.
It shall be interesting to see what you will get out of the Black Magic Cinema Camera in next challenge.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Major Player

This is an interesting story Chris and well told. My only complaint is that you made me work too hard for it by having to read so much text! :) For this reason I think it would have been far better had you done a V.O. The other problem with the text is that much of the time it interferes with the images, which seems a pity.

Nice music – calm, slow pace to match pastoral images. Some good shots in there and while you used pans and zooms, there was not much variety in the type of shots - green landscape, with either towers or cows or both, was the dominant theme throughout. (Okay I realize you were busy experimenting with a new camera.)

The man in the red t-shirt crossing in front of your camera near the end makes quite a big impression because prior to that everything had been predominantly green. (Red is the complementary of green therefore clashes with it.) As he was incidental to the story and not the focus it would have been better to take him out.

This film is an interesting take on the theme and I think it works well. I enjoyed watching it and learned something new.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quite an interesting documentary on this big idea gone bad, Chris! And thanks for pointing out the backwards cows--I would have hated to miss them. The cows around here can act pretty backward, too, from what dairy farmers tell me.

Loved your static shots most of all, not only because they were so pretty, but because they worked best with your choice to use text rather than voiceover. Watching the pans I just kept thinking to myself, "Chris needs a slider!" Can't you envision several of those shots on a slider rather than with a pan? I know you; you'll love it if you get one. We saw so many at NAB--it's like everyone is making them now--and I'm thinking about getting one, even though I hardly do video anymore. Shall we? :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge