Uwol 25 Realization at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Uwol 25 Realization

Good Morming,

Well, sense we are going to be away this weekend (visiting daughter in Montana) I hav e to post my video this morning. I had no clue how to download to the uwol site on vimeo.

I had some real fun putting this together and while we did not get a lot of great footage, I am glad to have completed and back in the "Habit".

We have had record cold all month, numerous blizzardish days, one day more road closers than ever recorded.

For some reason Vimeo compressed my video to 720 P and I can't figure out how to get it in 1080 even though I am a plus member and supposed to be able to do that.

I hope you enjoy the few minutes it takes to watch it.

Old March 29th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Uwol 25 Realization

Hey Dale. I downloaded your original 1080 file from your Vimeo page and then uploaded it to the UWOL Vimeo account for you. You have some great shots here but I will comment more later. I will say now- it's great to have you back!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Dale,

I enjoyed your film - I think the commentary and music sit well with the deer images - well done!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Dale. You have some great wildlife shots here- certainly eye candy. I think your Horned Larks in the wind clip is my favorite shot in all of UC25. I saw some this morning while out doing a bird survey and couldn’t help thinking of that shot. As for your conclusion- I couldn’t agree more! Nice.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Dale,

You always seem to find the wildlife when needed :)
I enjoyed watching your film, and you made a good one! I agree with the other comments.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good evening,

First, thank you Mike Sims doubly, first for letting me know the sign up was on, and then downloading my film when I was out of country!!!!!

Rule 11 prevailed predominantly when I was out in the blizzard shooting, it was exelerating even if the shots were not the greatest. that was when I decided to change my expanded horizons theme to the concept of survivial for deer or videogpher is really a matter of experiences regardless of the immediate outcome.

I wish I had more variety of wildlife for you but at that time of year, this one in particular, you can only get to so much wildlife.

It took me three hours of video to get the young deer standing up and moving off. Sadly, one eye as we called him did not make it through the last cold snap. He died and then three days later the coyotes cleaned up the carcase. I felt sad for him surviving the bulk of a radically hard winter only to have unseasonably bad March weather to finish him off. It isn't disneyland out there!

Thank you for taking the time to watch it, glad you enjoyed it!!
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Some great shots Dale that I've never seen anywhere, the blue background of snow and the warm foreground, pretty amazing luck (and skill) to get that eh?
I do agree on the premise of the script, it is the process, not the end result that is the best of it all, the journey, not the destination, that is the sugar in the candy.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Good job Dale!
It’s a tough world here up in the north during wintertime… and you showed us that.
Good story with good images. As you say, it’s not Disneyland, and it this world when food is a factory product, I think it is even more important to show how real life is.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Major Player

HI Dale; I reckon you really captured the feeling of being in the frozen winter there. Just looking at the snow being blown across the road gave me a chill down my back (and bear in mind I'm sweating on the equator here)!

You have got some of the best 'Outdoors' footage for this competition, and some of the most interesting wildlife too. I like the slow motion effect on some of the birds; looks very cool, as does the combination of colors while the deer catch the sunlight.

Good solid filmmaking there!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi Dale.

First I will say that I hope spring is on the way to your little corner of the globe.
Here at my place, spring is on the way but with some last flicker of winter hanging in the mountains.

Variation in bird and wildlife creates a vivid picture of a winter cold and shapeless landscape.
Sound and comments take me to your place and your video is arguably eyecandy for my school of thought (I hope this means the same in English as in Norwegian).
You take us into the animal world where the future is bright for some and defeat for others.
Well done!

Haha, are you talking to yourself at the end of the movie?
I think I can barely hear someone mutter at the end there.

Dale, I could not have this chance go by without messing around with you a bit.
Hope you forgive me.

Thanks for sharing a great film.
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Dale...Very good!

I must commend you on going out in that weather at all...Not sure I would have...brrrr.

Nice shots of the local wildlife. As was said above, the shot with the bird landing into the wind was very nice.
Your V.O. was very good and easy to understand.

Thanks!
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Trustee

Hi again, Dale.
I just have to throw in an additional comment.
Have seen your film several times, you have as many moment, which is good.
At 1:31 to 1:35, the deer coming in from the right.
Looks like there is a hierarchy between deer?
As the deer says, "Go away, I have a prior right?"
Did not catch this, when I saw the movie the first time.
A fun clip.
By the way, I think you have plenty of wildlife stuff in your film.
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Major Player

Dale,

That looked very cold out there by you. I liked the blowing snow and you tell a good story. Did you at least give that poor deer a snickers bar? Just kidding. I enjoyed watching your work and I look forward to seeing more with the next challenge. Thanks.
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Major Player

Dale,
I like this one.
The combination of warm music and ice cold and windy prairie gives the right feeling of sitting safe inside looking out into the fight for survival.
Your footages are impressing.
Which frame rate did you use for the slow-motion recording?
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Thank you all for watching.

Geir--- Yes that is me mumbleing in the tailing ending, wondered if any one would notice.
Yes Deer do have a heirarchy/ pecking order so to speak.

slo motion is shot at 720 P at 240 frames a second. My sony will do that for 6 continious seconds. If ones exposure is good I have had some very good slo mo, but If I do not get it right its almost useless. To bright just makes it to grainy/noisey.

Bob, The lighting was practically perfect when I was shooting. I have my big camera set slightly flat so I have more latitude in post. I always shoot in the snow with a polizer which will blu up the skies slightly and allow me to shoot at a wider aperature, also use ND filters as required. In Post I go to curves, select the blue color strand and adjust the highs to give them a slightly bluer tinge, you can also draw down the mids to lows a little. then go to the red curve and bring up the mids slightly. If I am not happy with the colors at this point I then go to the primary color corrector and make a final adjustment to color and gama. It sounds like a lot of work but it really is quite easy and after a bit of practice it allows one to adjust mood quickly.

Also shooting with two differnt cameras ( canon and a sony) always requires post work to make them match up reasonably. I would never buy two differnt cameras again, Id shoot two sony's or two canons.

Thank you again for the nice comments.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge