UWOL37 - The results at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 8th, 2016, 04:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL37 - The results

The winning films of UWOL37:

1. Cat Russel - The little book of Why
2. Mick Jenner - Why? The answer!

Well done to the winners and of course to everyone who submitted a film!

(Signup for challenge #38 will open around March 15)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL37 - The results

Congratulations Cat, a worthy winner. A big thank you to those who submitted the excellent films this round and those who signed up for the challenge.

Thank you Trond for all your hard work in organising this, at times it must seem like you are walking on a tight rope! And of course Chris for hosting us.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Congratulations Catherine and Mick.
Also to you others who provided wonderful movies, this round.
I cross my fingers and hope I can get time to contribute in the next round.
Thanks to you all, especially to Chris as our host and Trond as our organizer.
Old March 8th, 2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Major Player

My congratulations to Cat and Mick!

And of course to the BTS team, Trond and Chris for another UWOL.

Lets hope we can submit more entries for the next round! (add note to self - and with more time to sort things!)

Paul
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi everyone:

Thank you! You all have honored me greatly and I'm really blessed. I sincerely enjoy the great feedback and fun you all have poured into me and I am a direct result of your enthusiastic support. The joy is all mine counting you as my mentors and friends.

Mick, congratulations on your beautiful entry. It inspires.

Here's to everyone's contribution and the creative and unique ways you each addressed a very challenging theme.

Thanks Trond, our UWOL commander in chief, and you too Chris. We need this place to give us every opportunity to develop and grow.

Cheers,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Cat.

Another owl fix, a special present from me to you, to celebrate you winning this round. Mick

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Trustee

Mick! (As a tribute to Matt...) I'm "gobsmacked!"

Do I need to win in order to receive a gift like this again? I love owls, but I absolutely swoon over a small one. That's fantastic, Mick and how amazing you caught that on film as you did. Is it a Northern Saw-whet? Or Pigmy owl?

My one and only encounter with a Northern Saw-whet owl was in my very own hen compound. It's a covered compound and apparently one had been trapped in the covered space for a stint but it was only after our encounter did I notice the signs of it living there (a true sign of a wildlife filmmaker!). The encounter was magical for me. I had finished putting in the hens for the evening and had made my way back to the house when I remembered I had left something behind. It was a warm spring evening and getting fairly dark by this time. When I returned, there it was sitting on a stool. It was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. Naturally, I opened the door to the compound very wide and we bid our farewells to each other as it soared out the door into the night sky.

Thanks for the gesture and the memory! I had forgotten about that!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Cat, pleased you are pleased!

Its a "Little Owl" Athene noctua. Its an introduced species, although most non birders are not aware of that believing it to be a British native species. Here is a little info from the British Trust for Ornithology explaining.

The Little Owl is a non-native, first introduced in the late 1800s by rich landowners who thought that the species would be a useful addition to our native avifauna. Many of the early attempts to introduce Little Owls into Britain failed, the owls dying soon after release, but a series of releases that took place at Stonewall Park, near Edenbridge in Kent, saw the Little Owl become established, with the first successful breeding recorded in 1879. The population began to grow and soon saw birds become established in neighbouring counties. Further releases elsewhere in Britain also had a part to play, particularly those that took place in Northamptonshire in the late 1880s, and by 1909 the Little Owl was breeding as far north as Derbyshire, reaching Wales in 1916 and Scotland in 1958. Today the Little Owl is largely restricted to England, with the greatest numbers to be found in the south-east of the country.

Mick
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #9
Trustee

Congratulations Cat & Mick,
2 Great films amongst a bunch of really fantastic films. This was a surprisingly hard theme this round, & while i never had the time to put too much thought into it, the time i did, i was completely stuck. I think this round really showed the talent around here with so many different takes on the theme & all of a high standard.
Well done to everyone!!
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Congrats Cat & Mick,

This time it was a tough topic , wonderful films .
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #11
Major Player

Well done Cat and Mick. Well deserved from your strong entries - no surprise to see your names at the top of this round. Was definitely a challenging topic being so open ended, and making a deliberate and cohesive piece for those that finished is definitely an achievement. As opposed to mine - I don't claim that mine was well thought out or executed, just enough Shark repellent and a bit of Rule #11.

Hopefully we'll have a larger field of finishers in the April round. I plan on doing a proper film this time around.

And thanks Trond and Chris for keeping this going - UWOL/DVinfo.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge