UWOL #7 ”A dark side” by Markus Nord - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #16
Major Player

I think the information on the gear was important to set up how difficult and dangerous it was. But I would have liked to see more of the cave too. As has been said, maybe a slight trim of the intro would have been good, to allow more cave footage. Basically it was impossible to fit so much great stuff into 3 minutes. The music certainly set the tone, and added to the eerie and scary feel of being in a cave underwater, unable to see very much. Your format worked really well last time and this, and I appreciate you bringing us along vicariously on your underwater adventures.

Ruth
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Adrinn – Thank you… Yes, more cave… next time…

Mat – Awww, Thank you Mat, that makes me happy when you tell me I’m crazy :)
I did shot some cut-ways, but not on the right stuff (stupid). The max depth was 10 meter and 40 minutes of dive time. I could film about 15-20 minutes of that time, the rest was just bad viz.

Trond – Thanks, I think that if I hade some cut-ways in the interview it could have worked.

Dale – Thank you… I just want to say that you can se a white line in the film, that’s the line we follow back to the surface. So, as long as you don’t lose the line, you get back out.

Ruth – cool, maybe I could have cut out some of the dry cave shots in the beginning, but I think that they are important to get a feeling for what’s coming. Thanks for you input.

Cheers every on, thanks for watching.
Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
Trond – Thanks, I think that if I hade some cut-ways in the interview it could have worked.
Yes, that would have been good. Maybe showing more of your camera gear, or as I would prefer, some more of the diving inside the cave.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #19
New Boot

I like it..

...Markus!

Makes me want to take up my old hobby, scubadiving again:o)

Would have liked to see more diving scenes :o)

Nice!

Espen
Espen Skjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #20
Major Player

Markus my friend..I say this in the nicest possible way "YOU ARE NUTS" But having said that if it was not for people like you a whole world would be missed by people like me.This video needed to be longer but you only had 3 min....good stuff i enjoyed
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi Markus,

Wow, that was absolutely fantastic stuff - just like watching a professional documentary on TV!

Well my claustrophobia was tested just watching your footage - I just couldn't do it, not if you paid me a million bucks!

I loved the establishing shots of the cave entrance area, with the still water. I also thought the explanations by yourself and your friend were very professional - although, I would have liked to have seen more underwater shots at the expense of the narration - just to feel that scary frightning feeling I was getting as I watched you guys under water.

I can't really say much more. You are such a natural in front of the camera and set the stage so nicely. Even little things life you capturing the shots of your stepping up the cave entrance at the start. It balances the whole approach beautifully. I get the impression you really can "see" the end product before you even start the recording.

An excellent entry Marcus.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #22
Major Player

Espen – I hope you do take up diving again… It’s nothing better :)

John Dennis – Thanks… yes, this film would have needed just a few second more… just enough to not get a stressed feeling in the dive part. I don’t count me in that group (that explores the unique places on the planet) yet… but soon I hope.

David – thank you very much… I don’t mind being in front of the camera, but I prefer behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gemmell View Post
I can't really say much more. You are such a natural in front of the camera and set the stage so nicely. Even little things life you capturing the shots of your stepping up the cave entrance at the start. It balances the whole approach beautifully. I get the impression you really can "see" the end product before you even start the recording.
What you say about be “seeing” the production before are in a way correct. When I produce a film, I visualize the film and planning what shot I need to for the production and when I’m there at the spot, I focus and shot. I get the shot I visualized and then I can “go with the flow” at get the feeling of the spot. My biggest problem is that I’m al alone, no one near me that I can sit down with and have a chat about a production. That is why I love UWOL!
(thank you for setting this up)

Markus
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi Markus, I really loved the UW shots, the particles floating in and out of focus and the real sense of darkness and claustrophobia, it sent a shiver down my spine!! Big respect for even thinking about filming in this environment!! As others have said a little more variety on the interview scene would have been nice. As for the UW stuff, would it have been possible to set the camera up, rolling, then move away and swim back into shot ( perhaps after the silt has settled)? I could imagine that would look good, but probably hard under the contraints of small space and limited breathing-stuff ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Markus,

Great film. Very professionally done plus it contained both Under Water & Over Land footage. I do agree that the interview/2 shot scence may have benefited with some cutaways over it. A good reason to add more of those nice underwater shots. Cave diving is for nutters. Hat off to you!

Mihali
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #25
Major Player

Rob – In this cave I would not be possible to set up the camera and return later. After you have dived in, the silt take 1 week to settle down, that way I just hade 1 dive to get the shots that I needed. But in this cave it is to entries, we tried to meet in the middle, but I didn’t know the cave good enough to know where to stop. So I took one turn to much and ended up silting the meeting point.

Mihali – Thanks, I just started to film in this narrow cave, before I just dived and filmed flooded mine and they are much bigger (tunnels are 3x2 m).

Thanks for watching…
Markus
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #26
Trustee

Hi Markus.

You take us on another great adventure with this film.
Cave diving must be very exciting I guess?
In fact there's a dry cave not far from where I live and I have plans of making some shots there in the future.
I know you want to warn us about the dangerous in cave diving, but somehow I wish I could see a bit more diving scenes and less intro on this one, if you know what I mean.
This could easily be a 5 - 10 min on Discovery channel.

All the best
Geir Inge
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #27
Major Player

Geir Inge - Thank you Geir... Cave diving IS very exciting! that is the best type of diving I know of.
you should visit the cave near you... just make sure that you got extra lamps and not not enter alone and always tell some one shen you plant to exit (you probably know this, but maybe some one else read this and he/his doesn't).

Markus
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #28
Major Player

Markus - you’ve done it again! - Right there at the top. What a superb movie. You have taken us once again to a place that most of us will never get to see in reality in our life-times. This is a real privilege to watch. A true adventure.

Your movie is interesting and informative. It flows easily from one scene to the next. It is exceptionally clear under water. I can see why it is so dangerous to do what you do, especially when you ruffled up some of that silt and we got to see for ourselves the result of that.

You are a natural presenter - easy to listen to. Your skills as a master diver along with your excellent knowledge of underwater lighting and filming make an excellent combination - it won’t be long before we see you on World-wide TV not just WebTV!

Well done - an excellent and inspiring contribution - just over far too quickly!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #29
Trustee

OK, I quit. How can mere mortals compete with this. What a great idea ofuseing the UWOL logo for your "tv" show. I truely enjoyed this. A fun and educational entry. Thank you so much. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #30
Major Player

Markus, I've found myself in some strange positions at times - wondering how in the hell did I get myself into this one.. But I must say that I've never even dreamed of going where you go. And then you take us with you! And explain it!

Thanks for that Markus. Nice film.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge