Rule #7 Rule #7 Rule #7!!! Post 3 minute footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #16
Wrangler

Sorry for the crickets, Chris, I left town for a little break.

To answer your question, the deadlines aren't organized seasonally -- if you think about it, that doesn't make sense, since the seasons all over the world are so different...and some of the players live in places where there aren't any seasons at all, or very very short ones at best.

The deadlines are organized by the passage of time, in such a way that you are forced, like it or not, to stay focused on the project, in one way or another. Some of you will find these deadlines easier to meet, for others just the deadline will be a challenge. (Have a look at Bob Safay posting footage of his preparations -- he had no Galapagos footage at all but is still in the game and put up a nice short piece).

Part of being in the game is staying in touch, on a consistent basis, with the other players, and if you don't post according to the deadlines, you fall out of the loop. The advantage of the long form contest is the ongoing participation in the community -- I keep saying that -- otherwise, you can always make your own films on your own time.

So, while I understand what you're saying about your own project, you may have to get creative, like Bob and several others did. There will definitely be times when you have more footage to post, and times when you will have less footage, depending on your project. Keep in mind that the rules are talking about *minimums* -- you can always post more, if you want the feedback later.

Also, keep in mind that those who e-mail me to discuss special dispensation usually, though not always -- it depends on the nature of the request -- come away with a bit of latitude. We are here to help you make your films, not to beat you over the head with the rules. But since it is a contest, the rules keep things orderly and help it to make sense to the greatest number of participants.

I hope that this makes some sense.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Major Player

You are of course correct, and it was me who should have thought it through before posting. I'm game, I'm in and I'm feeling a bit sheepish for even suggesting it. On with the show.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #18
Major Player

Ya know... Crow tastes a lot like Spotted Owl.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Wrangler

Stop self-flagellating and go outside and shoot something, my friend. Shooting some nice crow footage is the remedy to eating it!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Oh Meryem, worry not, I have been busy shooting, and refining my "Ken Burns" like skills (such as they are) using other opportunities that have presented themselves. Am also (turning now to the UWOL Challenge) making the necessary and important connections with archivists (who by the way seem to be a universally wonderful lot to those interested in what they possess. For example, Dierdre Shaw in Glacier (Park Archivist) is a treasure.)

My last post was really more directed to my good friend and shooting compatriot Chris Barcellos who sent me a litle email jab.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge