Stenhouse_popUp_UWOLlongform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Stenhouse_popUp_UWOLlongform

Hi All.

I am having a little trouble with my upload, its all my side though so don't panic! The heat really effects the power lines here so I have to try and sneak in between power cuts. It will work eventually!

So in the mean time I thought i would post you a description or a wee teaser if you will of my project.

Basically the idea is bringing a popup book to life. By using "traditional" wildlife style footage combined with computer generated images and techniques like green screen usually excluded from the wildlife documentry tool chest.

With in the popup book six animals will make an apperance. I have choosen typical animals that children will have already encountered in other education media. These are

Lions
Giraffe
Monkeys ( cape vervet )
Rhino ( white )
Zebra
Elephants

Luckly for me I live on a game reserve so have access to these animals. The "book" will have information about the animals family or group structure all these choosen animals have visually intreasting names for there groups, ie A group of Zebra can be a herd , cohort or Dazzle! I bet you can guess which one i will focus on.

The Zulu and Xhosa names for all the animals will also be included, and if time premits I will also do an afrikaans and Xhosa narration. The narration takes the form of a rhyme and will be strongly supported by music.

I have so far done the research drawn story boards and prototyped the pop up book and some of the transitions from animal to animal.

I will put updates here but also on my blog OPTICAL NERVE
and of course upload my first footage. ( basically me saying this stuff with some more examples :) ) as soon as our power stablises.

cheers

Jennie
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Major Player

This will certainly make for a unique and interesting UWOL video. I'm intrigued by the idea, and look forward to how it will blend together. There could be quite a wide audience for it when you're finished. Especially if you have multiple languages. That's quite an undertaking.

It's good that you have a lot of the planning figured out, it will make the rest of the process a lot easier. I've definitely got more to do for planning parts of my video.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey to organize my self i have been using celtex.( celtx - Integrated Media Pre-Production ) After this weekend I am going to have totally completed my story board stuff. If you sign up as a member you can share "projects" so you will be able to have a look at what i have done.

Its quite a nifty little application and really is handy for international collabaration. Found it through an editing blog i follow :)

jen
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Wow...that is a really cool idea!

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Is your target audience going to be kids?

Jeff
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

yup sure is.

I am targeting the 5 - 10 age group basically the primary school age. I want it to be visually stimulating enough so that the five year olds gets something out of it with out having to understand every thing that is being said.

As soon as my internet stablises ( if its not the heat its thunderstorms! ) i will upload my first ever wildlife film thingy for you to haev a look at too its basically a visaul ABC poem.

cheers

Jennie
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Jennie,

I think you can reach a very broad audience with your project. Not only the kids are facinated about those animals.
The book concept is interesting and I think the kids will love it.
Good luck, and I look forward to see your finished video!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Jennie.
I like your idea of making a book.
Also your choice of animals :)
Looking forward to se more of it.

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Trustee

Jennie, interesting story you got there. Look forward view your progression. I've always been facinated of African animals.

Hope your upload is going well, and that the thunderstorms will pass!
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Jennie,
I'd have to agree, the pop up book idea sounds like a great one. I will be very interested to see just how you go about it with all the fx that you have mentioned. Certainly sounds like there will be no shortage of your subjects to film either. I think if we can get our kids interested in wildlife at an early age, it will stay with them forever. I am already looking forward to see this one when it's done.
Good luck, & good luck too with the upload.

Bryce
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Jennie,

What a great idea!! when you are finished you could likly market an educational DVD if that intersts you!!

you working with after effects?

Intriguing!!!

so many great ideas for this group!!!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #11
Major Player

This is a brilliant idea Jennie. I am really looking forward with anticipation to see how this evolves. How did your green screen work go this weekend?
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi every one thanks for all the coments I was a bit worried about the idea but I am back to being really excited about it again :)

I am using after effects.

here is a link to my 3 minute footage part I have had to upload it to my server... it should play in a browser, my internet is so flakey :) if you click the index link or you can do a save as.. sorry about the crappy quality. had to make it small to upload between power cuts !

any hoo its here.
oh and yeah my accents weird !

http://braiiins.com/UWOL/STENHOUSE_P...OLLongForm.mp4
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Major Player

You have a good idea for your film. I think this concept will be easy to stretch to the long form. Not all of us can be so sure of our plan.
I am longing for your next step with rhyme and music .

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #14
Trustee

Hey Jennie,
I just watched the first part of your film. Wow you're so imaginative & creative! You & Cat Russel would work very well together i think if you ever got the chance. I love the idea & am sure it will appeal to all ages. Can't wait to see the next part.
Bryce
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #15
Major Player

Jennie,
This is so good I’m already looking past it and can’t wait to see what other great ideas you come up with in the future. If you put it out on DVD have you considered making the disc cover be a simple pop-up? Good luck with the green screen compositing. I have also found this site Cow a help with AfterEffects:

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools

His sense of humor can be a little strange. Speaking of weird- your accent’s not, mine is. Have you considered using 3D animation? Seems like a good fit for this project. 3D models of all the animals you list (and books) are readily and cheaply available and now some very good render and animation software is free. I’ll send you links if you like. Let me know.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge