i glasses used as monitor for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 21st, 2003, 01:30 PM   #1
Major Player

i glasses used as monitor for GL2

Does anyone have any experence using the "i glasses" as a monitor connected via S-video cable to the GL2? I was hoping, that with a lanc controller, it would get me into the zone, and crop shots better when on extream telephoto. The whole idea of using VR to get a better shot is basically what im getting at, any comments are welcome and greatly appreciated.

John Deluca,

Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Major Player

A couple links to the " i glasses"

http://www.vrealities.com/ighrvpro.html

http://www.vrealities.com/ighrvprohg.html
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:48 PM   #3
High School Student

Sorry to be offtopic. John, Cool to see someone else on here in the same area as I am. If you ever need a extra body to do anything with any video stuff, I'm right here in canton, and I am never busy. :D

About the video headset thing, that seems like it would be cool, but how practical would that be? For somethings I see it useful, but for others I can see them getting in the way and making you dizzy. Just my opinion, but I'd rather save/spend my $1000 on something other then this, because I see them being more practical for 3d gaming in your home rather then monitoring video.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I like the fact that they're high resolution. I've been looking for some kind of extremely portable monitor to use when focusing an anamorphic adapter because the viewfinder on my GL1 just isn't sharp enough. This looks perfect except for the price, and I have to admit, appearance. I'll just say it. I would feel like a total dork wearing those things on a movie set. I wish they would just make a tiny monitor I could either mount to the camera or hold up to my eye when focusing.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:42 PM   #5
High School Student

Marco, I didn't want to mention the fact about looking like a complete nerd with them on, since that might be offensive to someone. :D But yeah, thats true, I'd feel like a big dork wearing them around, but if they work for you, then who cares what they make you look like...maybe, I guess, right? Well, your not going to pick up any chicks with them on, thats for sure, but you won't with the marzpak support system on either. :D
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Alex, thank you for responding. I admit, I would use it for other purpose, but found out that the most flawless shots, came when I was in the "zone" using about 90% or more of the footage captured each DV tape. Maybe its just pratice, but I have this bad problem of cropping just right, on an extream telephoto(not enough head room). I agree that the money would be better spent on other equipment, but to tell you the truth, there is nothing short of a steadi cam mini that I would need. We do have a two cam set up and are growing. Im sure I still have alot to learn considering I picked up my first camera, a GL2, just four mons ago. We have been doing the photo side of the business for quite a while, so I think that added to my fast learning pace. Weddings are what we specialize in, so if your free for the weekends, that would be great. You can reach me at alpha1jd@aol.com
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

"but if they work for you, then who cares what they make you look like"

I guess you could take them off after focusing and let them dangle around your neck like glasses. It would probably be a bad idea to wear them while actually filming anyway because you would be so disconnected from everything else that's happening on the set. I did notice some models at the Web site in the $500 range.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software