using monitors any1 use s-video to bnc adapters? know about it? MORE INFORMATION at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 19th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

using monitors any1 use s-video to bnc adapters? know about it?

want to pickup a good field monitor, but of course everything is bnc
(don't know of any lcd's with blue check)
has anyone heard about or used/using s-video to bnc adapters?

bad/good reviews appreciated... want to make sure the signal degradation, if any, won't adversley effect the calibration thanks

....any links to s-video field monitors nice too, but think/hope the above will be great
Alturo Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Your camera doesn't have S video out? I plug my into my monitor via S Video both ways--this is supposed to be a better signal than BnC, so I learned in a previous post.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i'm refering to the dvx100
it only has s-video out, most professional field monitors only have bnc inputs

if you are using a field monitor with s-in, would appreciate more info, but there are many great field monitors available at good prices, but all use bnc that i'm aware of....

curious as to how an s-video to take dvx100 output with an s-video to bnc adapter
like this:
http://harbourtownsales.site.yahoo.net/sto2bncad.html

works out, any info at all thanks!
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

using monitors any1 use s-video to bnc adapters? know about it? MORE INFORMATION

want to pickup a good field monitor, but of course everything is bnc
(don't know of any lcd's with blue check)
has anyone heard about or used/using s-video to bnc adapters?

bad/good reviews appreciated... want to make sure the signal degradation, if any, won't adversley effect the calibration thanks

....any links to s-video field monitors nice too, but think/hope the above will be great

i'm refering to the dvx100
it only has s-video out, most professional field monitors only have bnc inputs

if you are using a field monitor with s-in, would appreciate more info, but there are many great field monitors available at good prices, but all use bnc that i'm aware of....

curious as to how an s-video to take dvx100 output with an s-video to bnc adapter
like this:
http://harbourtownsales.site.yahoo.net/sto2bncad.html

works out, any info at all thanks!
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Contributor

Alturo,

Which NTSC monitors are you looking at getting? Most of the Sony ones I've used (production monitors with underscan, blue only, etc) have also had an s-video in.

Clayton

(Incidently, I've used said monitors on DVX100 shoots going s-video out of the camera. Also, if you have a laptop with FCP or the like you can have a pseudo waveform/vectorscope by going firewire out of camera into NLE.)
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #6
Contributor

I think all the newer Sony field monitors, as well as studio ones, also have S inputs. But if you have a monitor without S, you can use the adapter, or take RCA to BNC out of the camera if it doesn't have BNC. For monitoring purposes, it's not going to make any difference, except the picture may be a little softer than if it were S to S. The only problem with S connectors on location is that they are very fragile. I use S for playback on one of my cameras because the BNC from the record part of the camera got damaged and I haven't had a chance to get it repaired. I go through S cables pretty fast because somebody is always stepping on one and bending the connector, or they trip on it and yank it out and the connector falls apart. Too bad they don't seem to make the professional S connections anymore like JVC did back when they were trying to sell SVHS as a professional editing system.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Alturo,

I had a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you want, so if I get it
wrong, I apologize.

If I were you, I'd still go with a CRT monitor like the Sony 8" PVM series
(which take batteries).
The HR PVM-8045Q (high resolution) is very good imo.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh3/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=161986&is=REG

Something bigger?
PVM-14L5/1 14" Color Multiformat Monitor, 800 Lines of Resolution, SMPTE-C Phosphors, Tally, Blue Gun, Underscan, H/V Delay, 4:3/16:9, NTSC/PAL
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh3/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=262238&is=REG

Both of these monitors take an s video input, so no trouble there.

Professional LCD's usually don't have all these features, but maybe
Mr. Tanaka can inform you better than I here.
Old July 20th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

see... a question can never be stupid... THANK YOU!!!

thank you all!

Jacques, you understood pefectly, in fact a little telepathy may have been involved, because that's the exact monitor i had bookmarked....

get ready to laugh..... i didn't know what "y/c" stood for. was always looking for "s-video or 'composite', but composite was always listed with BNC"

.. after you mentioned the exact monitor i wanted... went off and searched for it with "s-video" and got matches... y/c etc.... my oh my.....

im a video genius....LOL what do ya'll think about that hehehe
my brain just expanded, waiting to grow some more and learn how to use the great piece of equipment(taking classes soon,,,,as long as projects don't interfere)
Old July 20th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

LOL... found out it was my lack of knowledge

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=81364#post81364

clayton, i do look forward to using/learning the software as well, but wanted to get a field monitor at same time.. click the link and you'll see how totally ignorant i still am
thanks everyone, you DID help!!! ..in this little part of video knowledge i am ignorant no more :)

(understand ,must have confused the hell out everyone, because i didn't know what the f i was talking about muahahah)
Old July 20th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #10
Contributor

The 8045Q is sort of an industry standard around here, and it's a great monitor; also has 16:9. There's a cheaper one that's about the same but has lower resolution. I felt it was worth the money to get the higher res because of the fairly small picture size.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

yeah..... that was part of the budget debate..... was thinking get a larger field monitor, so can use it in studio comfortably as well, until more budget... or great deal comes later

5041q(small)
TM-910SU 9" 280 lines
8045q 9" 450 lines(+otherstuff)

8045q continues to receive praise, so it probably won't suck to be able to utilize it :)
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:21 AM   #12
Contributor

It could be used in the studio too, unless you've got clients looking over your shoulder. I would go for a good portable field monitor like that, then later on get a bigger studio one. What I used to do was use my field monitor for editing but then I had a large screen ordinary TV for a client monitor. In fact, I've heard the Sony WEGA 20" is pretty darn good for that purpose, and cheap. Use your 8" for fine tuning color and all and the 20" for watching the action.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software