Wireless HD Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 21st, 2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless HD Monitor

Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered before, I searched a lot of posts & didn't find an answer so I thought I'd start a thread.

I am looking for a director's wireless HD monitor (preferably with HDMI-in and battery mounts for Canon, Sony, etc). 7"-10" for use with a DSLR. Focus assist great, but not a must.

Time and again I have seen the Camos monitor (Cramped Attic Technology > Camos Monitor) with the two handles used on sets by many directors and I'm wondering if anyone can give a review of this monitor? Does it have a built-in wireless transmitter?

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Mary Hagopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Finding such a monitor for DSLR use is not a simple thing at all.

Basically on Canon DSLRs you have to either use only the internal LCD, only the HDMI output, or only the analog SD composite video output. Use of any one of these prevents you from using any other. This means that the only way for an operator and director to have separate monitoring for the camera is to split the composite output or split the HDMI output. Because composite output would make it very difficult to judge focus, exposure, and most other aspects of the image besides basic framing and content, and because I have heard of cases where the composite video output can cause odd issues with the camera, I would only consider HDMI monitoring to be a viable option.

You need:
1 - powered HDMI splitter
1 - battery power solution for HDMI splitter
2 - HDMI LCD Monitor
1 - mounting and power for the operator monitor
1 - mounting and power for the director monitor
1 - HDMI transmitter/receiver kit
2 - battery power solution each for HDMI transmitter and reciever
1 - mini HDMI to HDMI cable to connect camera to splitter
3 - HDMI cables to connect splitter-monitor splitter-transmitter receiver-monitor

Alternate solution
1 - HDMI-to-HDSDI converter
1 - battery power solution for converter
2 - HD-SDI LCD Monitor
1 - mounting and power for the operator monitor
1 - mounting and power for the director monitor
1 - HDSDI transmitter/receiver kit (boxx and IDX are common and come with V/AB battery mounts and SDI-OUT)
1 - mini HDMI to HDMI cable to connect camera to converter
3 - BNC cables to connect converter-transmitter transmiter-monitor receiver-monitor

The alternate is likely to cost more but be more stable and the parts are much more likely to be found at a camera rental house.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow, thanks Noah! That is some really useful information! Thanks for taking the time to post a thorough response. Do you have a specific solution - as in, a complete kit - you can recommend to me? (I would rather not have to pull all the parts to create a custom kit). Thanks again.
Mary Hagopian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software