Benefit of Expensive LCDs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Benefit of Expensive LCDs?

Can someone explain why expensive LCDs are needed for editing, such as for Broadcast, DVD or Web?

I spent the money and bought an Eizo CG243W ($2400) and a Panny BT-LH1710W ($2900). I use the Eizo as my main editing monitor and the Panny is connected to my EX1 while recording, and eventually to a Kona card. With the Eizo next to my Dell Ultrasharp LCD, I can see part of the reason why the Eizo should be used - because the Eizo has a far greater dynamic range. The Dell crushes blacks and clips highlights whereas the Eizo beautifully displays them.

I commonly see people say that their video looks good on their HDTV and since their delivery is DVD, that is all they need. However, Hollywood does not use a simple HDTV for re-grading for DVD delivery.

I guess what I am trying to get at is how do I explain why expensive monitors should be used.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Major Player

It really depends on what you're doing. The reason Hollywood DVDs use high quality monitors is because they duplicate 100,000+ copies of a title. So they want to get it right, and the economy of scale makes sense for them to spend a little extra doing that. However, if you are making a DVD or web video for a couple hundred people to watch you have to ask yourself, is my client better served by me charging more for high end equipment.

There is no single answer to these things.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Can someone explain why expensive LCDs are needed for editing, such as for Broadcast, DVD or Web?

I spent the money and bought an Eizo CG243W ($2400) and a Panny BT-LH1710W ($2900). I use the Eizo as my main editing monitor and the Panny is connected to my EX1 while recording, and eventually to a Kona card. With the Eizo next to my Dell Ultrasharp LCD, I can see part of the reason why the Eizo should be used - because the Eizo has a far greater dynamic range. The Dell crushes blacks and clips highlights whereas the Eizo beautifully displays them.

I commonly see people say that their video looks good on their HDTV and since their delivery is DVD, that is all they need. However, Hollywood does not use a simple HDTV for re-grading for DVD delivery.

I guess what I am trying to get at is how do I explain why expensive monitors should be used.

Steve,

I think the answer to your question is actually contained in the word MONITOR.

The difference between a "tv" or a "screen" or a "viewer" and an actual MONITOR is that you're using the latter device to make JUDGEMENTS about a variety of aspects of a picture. And in order to make such judgements, you need the device to reproduce the signal MORE ACCURATELY than a common TV or video screen.

The funny thing about the whole process is that if you start with a proper video signal, there won't be very much difference between any of the above. The picture on a TV set - and the picture on a MONITOR might be very close. And in fact, the TV set might even look BETTER!

It's common for TV manufacturers to make their consumer sets look overly bright, or overly colorful compared to the actual signals being sent to them knowing that setting their products that way will help them stand out in a TV dealers show room.

But those same attributes are DEATH to a real monitor. If there's a problem with the phase of a signal after it's edited and it's skewing too far into either the green or magenta space, YOU NEED TO SEE THAT. If the color is too weak OR too strong iYOU NEED TO SEE THAT.

A monitor isn't a TV. It's a MEASUREMENT DEVICE. It needs to be calibrated. It needs to be reliable. And you have to learn how to use it to see problems in your picture or you will NEVER be able to reliably turn out professional quality video work. PERIOD.
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Trustee

Bill, thank you for the great comment. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
The Dell crushes blacks and clips highlights whereas the Eizo beautifully displays them.
Have you calibrated your Dell, even with a cheapie calibrator?

Following the other comments, I'll add that expensive monitors usually have better electronics that do not produce an audible buzz as well as display consistent color from corner to corner and show less noise in the dark values.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software