I/O card frame rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #1
Major Player

I/O card frame rates

I'm still trying to figure this out. If I am using a video card, for color correction (like a Blackmagic or Kona), and its listed frame rates supported are HD: 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 720p50, 720p59.94, does that mean if I am working in a 24p or 30p time line, that I won't be able to monitor through this card? I'm looking at cards, with HDMI to monitor a broadcast quality signal, for color correcting, and I am trying to figure out the whole "frame rate supported" thing. I'm on an all digital workflow, so I am not as much concerned with ingestion of video, as I am the signal that the card outputs to my color correcting monitor.

Can anyone offer a little clarification on the subject?

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: I/O card frame rates

Usually, the cards will always output to an NTSC/PAL standard..Meaning, that if you've got 23.976FPS footage, the card knows to display the proper fields to the monitor. It does it internally (pulldown) and displays accordingly...

Same with progressive frame rates.
At 30FPS, the card should split the frames into fields for proper display on NTSC monitors...

In many cases, you have to use the cards' presets, or even ingestion via I/O to be able to have any acceleration, colour correction or realtime playback...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. My interest is using a lower end Blackmagic Intensity card, HDMI out, to a Panasonic Plasma TV (that is ISF calibrated to 709 standards), as my Color correcting monitor. I've read that the Panasonic Plasmas are being used as client monitors, in many color houses. While not being a true broadcast monitor, it is pretty close. My intention is to start with this, until I could afford a true monitor. I will be filming in 24p, and was worried if the card didnt support that frame rate, It would be useless to me. I have learned that the Intensity now supports 24p playback. So it might be a low end option for me.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Just make sure that your camera 24P (some cameras use different flagging methods) works with Blackmagic presets of 24P....

Now, if you're looking at ingesting 24P, working with 24P natively, and having 24P on the monitor, then you need to make sure that the monitor, card, and NLE will support this workflow...

If it's a lower end card, then i suspect it will apply pulldown for proper monitor playback...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software