Client monitor dilemma! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Client monitor dilemma!

Hi.
Got 2 Avid editing room, both running MC 5.0.3, and mostly working with XDCAM EX projects.
I purchased 2 Matrox MXO 2 mini, and now I need 2 client monitors for HD viewing - NOT for color correction.
I don't have the budget for professional reference monitors, and since I don't even have an HD SDI out from the Avid I don't think I will make any real use of them.
Now I need to decide which high-end 32" (don't have room for larger) consumer LED televisions to get as client monitors.
I have narrowed the search to the:
Dell U3011 30" monitor,
Panasonic TH-L32D25M 32" TV,
Sharp LC32LE320 32".

Extra features don't matter - I just need really good picture quality, good blacks, and good viewing angles.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above??? Or does someone have a recommended LED TV for client viewing?

Thanks.
Arbel Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Client monitor dilemma!

From past experience I would say that Panasonic would be best. I have a Panasonic 32" LCD of 2 years vintage and it is very good, so a new 2011 one should be even better. The only thing to look out for is onscreen input identification. I have a permanent ident when selecting some outside input sources. Have never found a way of getting rid of it. New models may not have this stupid feature.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Major Player

I have done a bit of research on a similar subject, and I have found the Panasonic Plasma TVs are the best (non broadcast reference) option. Over on another forum, there is a lot of talk about them being used as client monitors in color houses out in California. The recommendation was the Viera class plasma, or their professional series (which I am looking into buying, B&H carries them). I have been told to have it ISF calibrated to 709 specs (cost about $200 to get this done, after 100 hours of break in), and it will be as close to reference as a non broadcast monitor can be. I'm looking to add the 40" version to my editing suite. I have the Dell U3011, as my main desktop monitor, and its a very nice piece of equipment too, but the Panasonic Professional is $400 cheaper, and as I stated above, its suppose to be as close to reference as you can get from a non broadcast device. I won't mention the other forum, but if you would like to know, so you can do a little research of your own, feel free to send me a message, and I will let you know.

Panasonic Full-HD Professional Plasma Display TH-42PF20U B&H

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,
Do you plan to use the Panasonic for color grading as well or is it mentioned on other sites? I'm looking for options also for my setup.

Thanks in advance
Reggie
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Moser View Post
Hi Jeff,
Do you plan to use the Panasonic for color grading as well or is it mentioned on other sites? I'm looking for options also for my setup.

Thanks in advance
Reggie
Yes, my intention is to buy a Black Magic, or Kona card, then feed a proper signal over hdmi, to the Panasonic, for color correction. This will be my setup until I can afford a true broadcast monitor. I've been told its very close, but still nothing beats a true broadcast monitor.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Jeff,

Can you point me to where people are recommending this specific plasma? Just looking at its specs on B&H, its brightness is way to high for grading as proper brightness is only 120 cd/m2. Many monitors fall apart when they support very high cd/m2 but are calibrated to such a low cd/m2 of 120. I'm not trying to argue against this plasma as it looks like something I could really use for a new Mac Pro & DaVinci Resolve suite I am putting together this summer.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Major Player

That monitor was recommended to me in another forum. I spent a bit of time last night, researching this subject a bit more, over there. There is a lot of talk of consumer versions of Panasonic Plasmas being bit better. I am looking at a 42 inch viera 3D plasma. If you search out Panasonic in the Apple Color forum, there are a number of posts that talk about them. I would imagine (but haven't looked) that there might be some talk about them in the Resolve forum.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software