color correcting monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Inner Circle

color correcting monitor?

Is there a reasonable priced monitor to have on your computer to do all your color correcting on?

I have looked at some and they do not even have common computer hook ups.

thanks
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: color correcting monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Is there a reasonable priced monitor to have on your computer to do all your color correcting on?
The short answer is "not really."

The bare minimum for color correction work is a monitor that provides the color space of your target. If it's the web, sRGB. If it's HDTV in NA, it's Rec. 709. If it's SD in NA, it's Rec. 601. Then you need the monitor calibrated. Then you need the proper signals to the monitor to drive it. If you are missing any of the above, you're just shooting in the dark, literally.

All this is much more than a single posting can discus. Look around here and other forums. This topic has been discussed in detail in numerous other threads.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Major Player

"Reasonable" is a relative term. Less than 10 years ago, a 20" CRT with HDSDI would have set you back at least $16k. Now a grade 1 24" LCD can be had for less than half that. I'd say that's pretty reasonable.
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Since my target is a TV, I've been thinking of trying to color correct using the TV. I have a Samsung 32" flat screen with a PC plug that can hook up the computer and I can use it as the monitor.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Bill,

I have been doing that for years. The problem lies with the fact that they all seem so darn different.

I use a color LCD tv with hdmi as my main monitor, then I check my footage as blu ray on a 50 inch Panasonic plasma. I guess thats what I will continue to do. 8,000 is more than I have to play with in this regard. Looked at a jve at 2700 but do not know how I would hook it into the computer system as apposed to just the camera.

My images are not terrible, just wondered if I could improve them via this route.

thank you all for the responses.
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

CRTs were the standard for colour correction for years and IMHO, still produce the best colour. If you don't need ultra high resolution, you can pick up a used CRT field monitor for under $200
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aronson View Post
CRTs were the standard for colour correction for years and IMHO, still produce the best colour. If you don't need ultra high resolution, you can pick up a used CRT field monitor for under $200
It's getting very hard to maintain CRTs. Replacement tubes are no longer available for most models, and they will become less accurate with age. Also, very few shops are able to service them. They can no longer find parts.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Trustee

For under $3,000, you can get an Eizo CG243W and a Quadro 2000 with Displayport (if on a PC, which I assume because you make Blu Rays). The Eizo is 10bit and the Displayport from the Quadro is 10bit. All you need is software that can output 10bit such as Windows 7, Premiere Pro CS5 and maybe Photoshop. However, you don't absolutely need a 10bit pipeline. This setup is what I use but with a Quadro FX3800.

The Eizo has factory calibrated presets for Rec 709 and 601 (aka SMPTE-C) in addition to custom calibrations.

One thing I want to stress is calibration every 1-2 months of use (or 100 hours). My custom calibration went from perfect to not enough red because LCDs change color over time and I went 1300 hours between calibrations. For broadcast, this caused many problems and for the web, everything was way too red or orange. Also, you need to turn off the lights during the calibration process.

If you do get this Eizo, change the Brightness to 20% in the presets which gives you roughly 100 cd/m2.

Another great strength of this Eizo is color and brightness uniformity across the screen. I think that there is a max delta of 4-5% in uniformity across the screen. Compare that to a new $500 ASUS which varies 20% from left to right.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie Schlissel View Post
It's getting very hard to maintain CRTs. Replacement tubes are no longer available for most models, and they will become less accurate with age. Also, very few shops are able to service them. They can no longer find parts.
I disagree. The monitors normally get used only a fraction of the number of hours a normal CRT television gets (got) used. My JVC Professional monitor has been going for years with no signs of deterioration. I would guess that the overpriced LCD monitors won't last half as long. (Just a hunch).

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

What about the HP Dreamcolor? That came highly recommended a while ago and was about $2500ish

Also, regarding CRTs. . .if you're going to get one, I recommend looking into the Sony PVM14m2u. It's a 13" CRT with all the pro features, 4:3/16:9 switchable, blue gun, etc. It has p22 phosphors, which, as I understand, while not AS GOOD as SEMPTE C phosphors for color accuracy, are still pretty good. I have and use one and have never been shocked when seeing stuff I've corrected online/on a projection screen/on another TV. Last I looked on ebay they were going between 50-200 used.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I disagree. The monitors normally get used only a fraction of the number of hours a normal CRT television gets (got) used. My JVC Professional monitor has been going for years with no signs of deterioration. I would guess that the overpriced LCD monitors won't last half as long. (Just a hunch).

John
Most of the post houses I've been in monitors tend to be left on all the time. Also, LCD monitors don't suffer from screen burn like CRTs do.
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie Schlissel View Post
Most of the post houses I've been in monitors tend to be left on all the time. Also, LCD monitors don't suffer from screen burn like CRTs do.
June 21st, 2011 06:54 PM
To your first point, the Original Poster is not asking for a monitor recommendation for a "post house". It is for his own personal editing.

To your second point, I agree (if one wants it for a "post house").

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

While it's certainly far from "perfect", you can get devices fairly cheaply to calibrate your existing monitor - they hang in front of your screen, display a series of colors, then produce a profile that more or less makes your monitor properly balanced.

It ain't perfect, but it's within the reach of an average hobby user, and you'd be surprised how much better everything looks after you've used one of them to calibrate your screens.

Over the years I've used "Spyder", "Huey", and currentlly "Colormunki" (will profile multi-monitors, where the basic Huey does just one, but otherwise is great and compensates for room light).

For the $$ expended, it at least gets your displays in the ballpark rather than the parking lot where most screens seem to be!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
To your first point, the Original Poster is not asking for a monitor recommendation for a "post house". It is for his own personal editing.
If you're trying to buy a used, pro grade CRT, the odds right now are that it came from a post house or some other pro suite. And, more likely than not, it will have a lot of hours on it. Which may be why it's for sale.

Just sayin'...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software