Zucato EVF vs. the smallhd 6dp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Zucato EVF vs. the smallhd 6dp

For wedding work, when would you use an EVF over a monitor? I'm used to EVF's for videocameras, but reluctant on dslr's, one because of the focus accuracy and two because it seems like the unit would move all over the place when you put your face up to it.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Zucato EVF vs. the smallhd 6dp

Greg - I just started using the dp6 and like it a lot. For me the EVFs seemed too confining, for example if you wanted to position the cam at a low angle, your face would have to be right down there with it. The dp6 comes with dslr presets so it scales everything nicely and uses all of the screen. The one drawback for 5D users is the that the output reverts back to SD when you hit record making it harder to focus (not a problem with the 7D). The latest firmware though includes peaking and false color which helps.

Art
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Could someone explain the difference between an EVF and monitor to me?

AFAIK, isnt' an EVF just a small external monitor with a magnifying loupe in front of it? In essence, isn't an EVF an external monitor then?
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Trustee

This article shows some good ways to mount the Zacuto EVF. Zacuto EVF Test Drive at DVInfo.net

This allows a great deal of flexibility. Another very useful benefit with the Zacuto EVF is outdoor weddings. The worst case scenario with a LCD display is a morning or afternoon wedding with the sunlight coming from your back. Even viewing hoods don't work well in this case with LCD monitors. The Zacuto EVF blocks out all light when you are using it. If you still have an occasional LCD 'moment' when you crave a LCD display, just flip the eyepieces up and you have a very sharp LCD display.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I just finished my extensive review of the Zacuto EVF, check it out on my blog - to my knowledge it's the most comprehensive anywhere to be found:

Zacuto Z-Finder EVF – Review | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner - DSLR video, filmmaking & more

Let me know what you think!
Nino Leitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the review! Great read.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Major Player

What about this monitor. Announcing the all new DP4 & DP4-EVF from SmallHD I wonder if the build is better. I have read there were problems with the Zucato model.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software