screen burned in! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

screen burned in!

My father bought himself a new led tv and he gave me his 3 year old 40 inch Samsung full hd lcd screen. I tried it the past 2 days and used it as a second monitor connected to my pc with a vga connector. The image was very sharp and I had great color when I was testing it with edius, I had my time line on a 22 inch pc screen and my preview monitor and all other pallets on the 40 inch tv screen.

I think in total I had been editing like this for 2 straight hours today and when I double clicked the preview window in edius to get a full screen playback I noticed I could vaguely see my Edius pallets shining true the image. When I closed Edius I could still see the outlines of all my Edius pallets on the desktop! It looked like it was burned into the screen.

I restarted my pc and booted into my second OS (win 8) that I use for surfing and the outlines where still there and which where best visible when I selected a slightly darker solid color desktopbackground.

I then shut off the tv for 30 minutes and after I restarted the outlines from my NLE where still there but a lot less visible so it seemed the tv was "recovering" somehow but this I never seen before. Anyone here have any experience with this, do TV lcd screens burn in the content if it doesn't move after an hour or 2 already?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: screen burned in!

I've seen this happen with my 6 year old Toshiba LCD HDTV, especially if I leave the Sky HD box paused for any length of time, or if my son leaves his X-Box game running. These ghost images fade over a period of time though.

More serious is the ghost image of the Sky HD EPG that has burnt itself into the screen over the years. Its visible mainly on blue or grey images, sometimes hardly visible at all.

When I go on holiday and don't use it for a couple of weeks it practically disappears, but it always comes back again.

This is only supposed to happen on old plasmas but it definitely happens with old LCDs too.

Time to upgrade I guess - just waiting for 4K TVs to drop into my price range !
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: screen burned in!

Thx for the input, I wonder if this occurs with LED tv's too, I was surprised it only took 2 hours for the image to burn in so I won't be using it as second pc screen again but just for viewing my footage from a usb stick or br player.

I recall this thing to happen in the very early pc days when I used a pc at work with windows 3.1 on a small crt screen but I thought this was a thing of the past. Pc screens now don't seem to be affected by this, weird.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software