Preview Monitor Concerns at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Preview Monitor Concerns

Hi All,

Upgrading from the FCP world and planning to upgrade to Autodesk Smoke on Mac 2013..Then comes the output/preview monitor question. I was searching through this forum and other relevant websites to find a low budget solution. Since I don't have any tape based work such as capture and output to tape, the purpose of a monitor is just limited to a decent preview, and I plan to avoid the expensive HD SDI root for preview solution and considering the 10 bit LCD panels like Eizo or HP dream Color or the NEC. Among these only the Eizos are currently available in my place and within my reach(budget) My options are CG 246 and CG 276 and my concerns are-

A. Though the Eizos are 10 bit(Displayport)capable, the current Apple/Mac system is limiting the display output to 8 bit only through Mini DP/Thunderbolt.

B.Will this limitation change in the near feature?.

C.Is the Mini DP/Thunderbolt architecture is capable of outputting 10 bit when Apple update the
OS or at least am I able to watch 10 bit over Mini DP/Thunderbolt if I load win 7-64 in the iMac.
(since I wat to make sure my investment in Eizo future proof.)

D. My room size is 14x14 foot and the iMac is a 27". What size you prefer as a preview monitor, 24 or 27, both are within my limit.

Thanks
Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Preview Monitor Concerns

This might help, it's a five part series that should answer most of your questions: How to Choose a Professional Display Monitor

I prefer the NEC over the Eizo, but both are designed for graphic and stills applications (sRGB) over Rec. 709.

It is unlikely Apple will change the limitation. There is nothing wrong in working with 8-bit. In fact, if your work is limited to Rec. 709 I strongly recommend it over 10-bit. If you're working in ACES then it makes more sense.

Displayport is capable of 10-bit. Here's more info: SDI, Displayport, HDMI or DVI: What's the best way to monitor video?

If you're sitting right in front of the monitor, then 24" is more than enough. I would only recommend 27" if you are using it as a GUI for more screen real estate.
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Preview Monitor Concerns

Eizo is nice. FSI (Flanders Scientific) has some nice 24 inch monitors too.

When your iMac is 27 inch, it should may sense to keep a 27 inch monitor side by side.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software