How could I not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old May 29th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #1
How could I not?
Clive McLaughlin Clive McLaughlin is offline May 29th, 2013, 01:42 AM

This couple got in touch with me just three weeks before their wedding. In order to cut costs we agreed that we would not do a highlights trailer.

When I arrived, about a half hour in, I said to myself "I'm definitely doing a highlights trailer", I just loved the setting (Donegal, Ireland) and the styling, and the couple were just great on camera.

So as a surprise for them I gave them a shorter than usual highlights along with the package they ordered.

The thing is, when we put work online its a form of free advertising, I felt putting this couple in a highlights trailer will only help my business!

My other clients better not hear that I hand out freebies though!

Clive McLaughlin
Major Player
Views: 1767
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How could I not?

If you've got the time and the wedding is worth it then it makes sense to do a trailer to promote your business.
I enjoyed watching it, nice and simple in a good way. The timing with the 'pop' of the champagne with the music was great.
A few of questions, I guess you are shooting with DSLRs. Do you use 2 solo? I see you use a stabilizer a lot. Is it easy to keep balanced throughout the wedding even if you take the camera off repeatedly?
Cheers!
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Good wedding films. However, I didn't like that you use copyrighted music.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I must admit, that I found little in the music choice to signify the country, and didn't really like it, but no doubt it was selected for a reason. I don;t quite understand what copyright music has to do with it? There are choices to be made - pleasant but unforgettable music, or popular stuff people may like. If you clear the copyright, it's just another choice. Victor - do you mean you never, ever use well known tracks?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Victor - do you mean you never, ever use well known tracks?
I never use copyrighted music for paid works. This is what the music bed is for Stock Music Licensing for Video, Photography & Film - The Music Bed

How do you feel if someone use your footage to make money?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen View Post
I never use copyrighted music for paid works. This is what the music bed is for Stock Music Licensing for Video, Photography & Film - The Music Bed

How do you feel if someone use your footage to make money?
Did he say somewhere that he didn't get the rights to use that music? All music is copyrighted, you are using the Music Bed to purchase the rights to use that music.

Regardless, I liked the short highlights! Well done.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I didn't know Ingrid Michaelson sold her music for use in wedding videos, anyone has a link to where it can be bought/licensed? If the price is right I might use it for one of my demo's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I didn't know Ingrid Michaelson sold her music for use in wedding videos, anyone has a link to where it can be bought/licensed? If the price is right I might use it for one of my demo's.
https://www.songfreedom.com/Featured...ichaelson.aspx
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Ouch, songfreedom...They don't have worldwide streaming rights worldwide for all their songs, not touching that with a stick. But thx anyway for the link :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Victor, if you check my Vimeo, you will see that this was a one off and all my other videos use music from The Music Bed. Because this wasn't paid for, I didn't want to fork out on a licence.

I figure once in a while is better than doing it ALL the time.

Andrew, yea, I'm a solo shooter. I have started to always use the stabiliser (Glidecam nano) for my guest shots. Its so dynamic, and you can get in among people and turn around a group standing together to see all the individuals. Since doing it this way, I would never go back to using multiple fixed position shots. I go fixed for service, speeches and photoshoot. Glidecam for in between and dances!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Great video Clive. Liked everything, how it was shot, edited and music. Made it feel like a real celebration.
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Someones a little touchy ;)
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Major Player

Na, I see where Victor is coming from, its not a popular thing to tell a client that they can't choose a U2 song for their video, but it IS the law. I made the decision a few months back to go legal. And then that licence fee is taken out of my potential profit with every wedding, I must admit it starts to annoy me when competitors continue to ignore the law, while I'm paying out.

But like I said, this was an exception. I'm a naughty boy!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Palanza View Post
Someones a little touchy ;)
touchy about what? ;)
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery