DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Is Glidecam safe during first trimester? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/100964-glidecam-safe-during-first-trimester.html)

Laura Coffey August 9th, 2007 08:50 AM

Is Glidecam safe during first trimester?

I'm almost 2 months pregnant and I've been hired for a shoot that (almost) requires me using my Glidecam. I weighed it and it's about 15 pounds. Has anyone used a steadicam during their first trimester? Do you think it's safe or should I just try to manage with a tripod dolly for the moving shots?

thanks!

Mike Teutsch August 9th, 2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Coffey (Post 726128)
I'm almost 2 months pregnant and I've been hired for a shoot that (almost) requires me using my Glidecam. I weighed it and it's about 15 pounds. Has anyone used this during heir first trimester? Do you think it's safe or should I just try to manage with a tripod dolly for the moving shots?

thanks!

I would think that that is a question for your doctor, not the people here. :)

Your physical condition and your Dr.'s advice is the most practical way to determine the answer.

Mike

Laura Coffey August 9th, 2007 09:07 AM

I called my doc first. He still hasn't gotten back to me. Just wondering if anyone here has been in the same situation.

:)

Jason Bowers August 9th, 2007 09:16 AM

Hi Laura,
I don't see how it can be dangerous, however, you are still in that time frame where a miscarriage can occur. Is it worth taking that chance?

Congatulations

Sean Kiely August 9th, 2007 10:35 AM

Congratulations Laura!

I guess one approach to this question is to ask which model glidecam are you using, and how much experience do you have with it? If you're still getting to know it, I don't know, maybe try not to use it... they can be tough on your back when you're learning the ropes... it may not cause problems right now, but at the later stages of your pregnancy your back will have a lot to cope with carrying that extra little filmaker around, so maybe any small strains now could become a nuisance to you? If you're worried, maybe leave it be for now, I guess.

Really though, as has already been said here, your Doc is the one to supply the answer. Maybe phone him again, it's obviously a concern to you.

Adam Hoggatt August 9th, 2007 01:18 PM

Congratulations!
My wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant with twins. I'll have her try it out and see how she does! As soon as she's done cleaning the house and waxing the car! :D just kidding of course. Make sure that baby is in no danger! Your baby should come first!

BTW my wife is on bed rest and doing fine. :)

Tom McDougal August 9th, 2007 01:54 PM

as long as your not out of breath and able to relax yourself while using the glide cam, i don't see anything wrong with doing things.

i remember from my sister, if you can't breath, the baby can't breath. my sister excersiced (spin class) a few days until she gave birth.

Noa Put August 10th, 2007 03:32 AM

Allthough all the advice here is with the best intentions there is only one person that should answer this question and that is your doctor

Laura Coffey August 14th, 2007 07:34 AM

Answer to my question

The doc said to take it easy. Film 10 min and then take a break and so on. I did that and needless to say I was totally exhausted after 90 minutes. But, I didn't get the chance to take as many breaks as I needed. The next day I found out- it's TWINS! So, looks like I'll be putting the videography on hold for a while.

Thanks everyone!

:)

:) :)

Mike Teutsch August 14th, 2007 07:48 AM

Congratulations!

Laura,

How cool!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! I think, that with twins, videography is not the only thing you will be putting on hold for a while! :)

Mike

Steven Davis August 14th, 2007 07:51 AM

Very nice, twins will give you two shooters instead of one! Free labor!

Graham Risdon August 15th, 2007 01:16 PM

Simple - adapt a dolly with 2 baby seats and forget the Glidecam!!!!

Many congratulations!!