Is Glidecam safe during first trimester? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #1
New Boot

Is Glidecam safe during first trimester?

I'm almost 2 months pregnant and I've been hired for a shoot that (almost) requires me using my Glidecam. I weighed it and it's about 15 pounds. Has anyone used a steadicam during their first trimester? Do you think it's safe or should I just try to manage with a tripod dolly for the moving shots?

thanks!
Laura Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Coffey View Post
I'm almost 2 months pregnant and I've been hired for a shoot that (almost) requires me using my Glidecam. I weighed it and it's about 15 pounds. Has anyone used this during heir first trimester? Do you think it's safe or should I just try to manage with a tripod dolly for the moving shots?

thanks!
I would think that that is a question for your doctor, not the people here. :)

Your physical condition and your Dr.'s advice is the most practical way to determine the answer.

Mike
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #3
New Boot

I called my doc first. He still hasn't gotten back to me. Just wondering if anyone here has been in the same situation.

:)
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Laura,
I don't see how it can be dangerous, however, you are still in that time frame where a miscarriage can occur. Is it worth taking that chance?

Congatulations
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Congratulations Laura!

I guess one approach to this question is to ask which model glidecam are you using, and how much experience do you have with it? If you're still getting to know it, I don't know, maybe try not to use it... they can be tough on your back when you're learning the ropes... it may not cause problems right now, but at the later stages of your pregnancy your back will have a lot to cope with carrying that extra little filmaker around, so maybe any small strains now could become a nuisance to you? If you're worried, maybe leave it be for now, I guess.

Really though, as has already been said here, your Doc is the one to supply the answer. Maybe phone him again, it's obviously a concern to you.
Sean Kiely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Congratulations!
My wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant with twins. I'll have her try it out and see how she does! As soon as she's done cleaning the house and waxing the car! :D just kidding of course. Make sure that baby is in no danger! Your baby should come first!

BTW my wife is on bed rest and doing fine. :)
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

as long as your not out of breath and able to relax yourself while using the glide cam, i don't see anything wrong with doing things.

i remember from my sister, if you can't breath, the baby can't breath. my sister excersiced (spin class) a few days until she gave birth.
Tom McDougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Allthough all the advice here is with the best intentions there is only one person that should answer this question and that is your doctor
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #9
New Boot

Answer to my question

The doc said to take it easy. Film 10 min and then take a break and so on. I did that and needless to say I was totally exhausted after 90 minutes. But, I didn't get the chance to take as many breaks as I needed. The next day I found out- it's TWINS! So, looks like I'll be putting the videography on hold for a while.

Thanks everyone!

:)

:) :)
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Congratulations!

Laura,

How cool!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! I think, that with twins, videography is not the only thing you will be putting on hold for a while! :)

Mike
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Very nice, twins will give you two shooters instead of one! Free labor!
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Simple - adapt a dolly with 2 baby seats and forget the Glidecam!!!!

Many congratulations!!
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques