Benefits of multiple audio sources at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Trustee

Benefits of multiple audio sources

I filmed my 5th wedding on Saturday. Used 4 irivers: one on the sound board, one on the officiant, one on the groom, and one on a mic stand for readings.

I don't know why but I got nothing at all from the one on the sound board...so if I had relied on it I would have been sunk. Haven't downloaded everything yet but have the officiant great - picks up the couples vows very well.

For the reception I put on on the mic stand for speeches. They have come out as clear as a bell.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Could it be that the soundboard was mic level out and you had the iriver on line level?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
so if I had relied on it I would have been sunk.
Not if you had followed one of the golden rules of audio recording: always monitor what you record. I know this is easier said than done during the hectic activites of a wedding, especially with multiple recorders, but a worthwhile investment from my experience.

- Martin
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Could it be that the soundboard was mic level out and you had the iriver on line level?
Agreed, iRivers ahve been known to have input problems with soundboards. Also you have to make sure that your iRiver is set to Line in in the menu.
It's always a good idea to do a sound check first with the soundboard to make sure that your levels are correct.

I agree also as to always at least monitor one audio source. This is why it would be a good idea to have a wireless system for you audio, which can be sent and monitored in your cam.

I use a wireless on groom, and 3 different recorders (depending on recording needs) Edirol R09 or Zoom H4/H2 on mic stand to record musicians, R09 on podium to record readings, backup recorder on groom in case wireless fails.

I have also used Edirol R4 (4 track HD recorder) at podium (mic in Ch1) to record readings, wireless in CH2 (from groom), wireless on officiant or musicians (CH3/4). The send a mixdown (via RCA Line out) to my camera (wireless).

Mostly for weddings though I use method #1 (3-4 recorders and wireless) and have had no issues. I rarely ever use the church board as I have not had the best results in past shoots.
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Re the sound board no go: I can see now there are a number of options as to what happened.

Also, this is the first time I had ever tried this and didn't know how to check things out, and the sound man was a fill in and had never done one of these connections before.

It doesn't worry me I got no audio from it because I was not relying on it, but is a good lesson along the way, and I know better what to do next time.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques