I need help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I need help!

I edited a wedding reception, and then exported a Quicktime movie.
So, I then deleted my captured clips to make more room for my next project.

Problem is that I have a finished reception movie that has no sound, for whatever reason.

I opened up my original Final Cut project for the reception, but since I deleted my individual captured files, the media is offline.

Do I have to edit this whole mess again?

Can I capture entire tapes and Final Cut can figure out the math to fill in the corresponding edits?

(My capture process involves capturing lots of little clips so I have less cutting to do. Would this make downloading an entire tape not work, since the clips would have to be the exact same length as the originals?)

I am editing HDV clips.BTW
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, I'm not a FCP editor, I'm on Premiere, but I think there should be a way.

Were you capturing tapes with scene detection?

If so, you should be able to recapture the tapes with the same names to the same directory, effectively replacing the ones you deleted. Then, when you open up the project, it'll find them and relink, unless you've saved the project with them offline, in which case you'll have to do it by hand.

IMO, the glory of automatic scene detection vs batch capture is that you can always go back and recapture the clips, your scene detection points will be perfectly in sync every time. :)

But.... if you batch captured... does final cut keep track of tape names/timecodes? It may have functionality to go back and recapture from the same in/out points, but I don't really know. Take a look in your capture or bins windows for anything about recapturing...

Best of luck, I know how painful relinking manually, etc, can be.

Carl
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Major Player

You should be able to batch capture the entire reception as long as the sequence is saved and you have the original tapes. As long as the media is from a timecoded source and your edit decisions are in tact you will be okay.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Agree...batch capture should let you reconnect the media. If you had no sound, make sure that you have all layers audio and video unlocked because i believe that will affect when you export.
John

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques