GPVA Wedding Film Fest - Bronze Recap - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Well, I definitely don't have the capital to drop on a full-size-vest-with-arm at the moment, but I was looking at the cheaper vest that doesn't really provide stabilization. I think that would work for those times when I need a break from holding the unit and just need a steady, static shot (like filming a toast or whatever).

Since you don't seem to mind me taking over your thread (lol) I'll ask you another question. How is it going from handheld (no GC) to using the Glidecam in the middle of a wedding day? In other words, is it practical to shoot some shots with the GC and then take the camera off to get some other shots and then put it back on, all in the span of say 30 minutes? Or do you basically need to recalibrate the balance every time to put the camera back on the GC?
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Well, I definitely don't have the capital to drop on a full-size-vest-with-arm at the moment, but I was looking at the cheaper vest that doesn't really provide stabilization. I think that would work for those times when I need a break from holding the unit and just need a steady, static shot (like filming a toast or whatever).

Since you don't seem to mind me taking over your thread (lol) I'll ask you another question. How is it going from handheld (no GC) to using the Glidecam in the middle of a wedding day? In other words, is it practical to shoot some shots with the GC and then take the camera off to get some other shots and then put it back on, all in the span of say 30 minutes? Or do you basically need to recalibrate the balance every time to put the camera back on the GC?
You can rebalance in a few minutes, but during a wedding day, depending on where you're at, 5 minutes could be a major setback, which I've found.

And it takes a while to get to that point, usually a beginner can easily take 2-3 times that.

Best way is to get a matching baseplate of your tripod/monopod, and attach it to the glidecam - not the whole head, but just the baseplate, that way you can detach the camera while keeping the weights in tact.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #18
Inner Circle

So if you keep the same plate attached to the camera (already planned on doing that anyways) do you still have to rebalance the rig?
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
So if you keep the same plate attached to the camera (already planned on doing that anyways) do you still have to rebalance the rig?
Nope - so long as none of the weights get moved while you store you glidecam you should be fine - just make sure to tighten them so they stay still.

Only thing is I heard people who use the slide/lock baseplates have a few issues because it slides. Usually people like the hex plates for the GC.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Care to share what plate you're using?
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Care to share what plate you're using?
Actually never got around to using one - I just keep the glidecam the whole wedding usually. At most, if the church is small enough, I'll put it on a tripod and just have my 2nd cameraman cover me for 5-10 minutes while I reattach it after the recessional line.

Or just rent/bum a vest from someone and wear that throughout.

Never settled on a plate - my tripod has the hex plate, and I've actually had my tripod's plate come loose on me and bust two cameras, so I'm scared to death to put that on a Glidecam...

Also note - the baseplate needs to be drilled on.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques