GPVA Wedding Film Fest - Bronze Recap at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GPVA Wedding Film Fest - Bronze Recap

Ahoy - just entered this GPVA (Philadelphia video association) film fest last night and luckily won a Bronze for this recap

http://www.psynema.com/phillycrew/cl...cb83dacb17b0af

Not sure if Glen entered/attended as I wasn't able to attend, but if any other GPVA members were there, how'd things go?

Thanks.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Congrats! I loved the exterior shots.. great colors.. Can you give us some tech specs of hardware used?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Congrats! I loved the exterior shots.. great colors.. Can you give us some tech specs of hardware used?
Thanks -

Canon A1 (Glidecam) and DVX100 both 24p, Sennheiser wireless mic, and FCP
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Nice vid and congrats on the award!

Two questions: How do you like your Glidecam? Do you have an external LCD attached to it?
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Nice vid and congrats on the award!

Two questions: How do you like your Glidecam? Do you have an external LCD attached to it?
Like it - though the A1 is a bit ergonomically challenged on the handheld 4000 unit and recommend the vest with it. No external LCD.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I promise I won't go anymore offtopic than this, but since you don't use an external LCD how do frame your shots while you're moving. Do you use the flip-out LCD or is it just experience working for you?
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
I promise I won't go anymore offtopic than this, but since you don't use an external LCD how do frame your shots while you're moving. Do you use the flip-out LCD or is it just experience working for you?
Never had a problem using the flip out LCD, never gets out of my field of view and tried an external monitor once - just didn't think it was worth it, expeciall adding unneccesary weight.

WIth the handheld unit, you have to stay behind the glidecam, and pretty much keep the camera pointing perpendicular at a right angle anyway, so it's pretty much in my field of view, unless your doing 360s, but usually doesn't become a problem until after I'm finished with the shot anyway.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

So you balance the rig with the flipout in the position you want? I've heard ppl have trouble using stabalizers with the flipout LCD open.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
So you balance the rig with the flipout in the position you want? I've heard ppl have trouble using stabalizers with the flipout LCD open.
Yep - not that bad really.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna View Post
Yep - not that bad really.

Thanks for the info! And again, congrats on the award!
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks for the info! And again, congrats on the award!
Thanks - yep IMO moving a small monitor here and there (which I really don't have to do - it doesn't effect the shift too much) is much easier than balancing a monitor, which, position wise, makes the GC much harder to balance in my eyes - I never like to have something OVERLY in the front or back, which is where most monitors go - and even if you have a rig to put it in the center, there's still the width of the monitor to be concerned with. It's just simpler for me to keep the GC as even as I can with accessories, despite the fact that you can compensate - even if you compensate for an accessory that makes it front or back heavy, you can still sense it while doing 360s.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Good to know. I've heard people comment that using a flipout makes the balancing harder, but it sounds like you think using a monitor makes it harder. I'll be getting a stabalizer soon and getting this kind of feedback is literally invaluable. Thanks!!
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Good to know. I've heard people comment that using a flipout makes the balancing harder, but it sounds like you think using a monitor makes it harder. I'll be getting a stabalizer soon and getting this kind of feedback is literally invaluable. Thanks!!
Yep, really I think a monitor is overkill - and not to sound rude, but I think people get monitors for show moreso than necessity. And I've never came across a glidecam user that's used the glidecam on a habitual basis that wants a monitor on it - not to stereotype people, but the people that want monitors on their glidecam, the ones that I've come across any, JUST BOUGHT THEM without mastering it yet. I'll add again that I hope no one is offended by that remark, but that's just what I've noticed.

Like I've said before, to really get good with the glidecam, you have to make a habit of moving your body, strafing with it - you want your body behind it at all times, and once you learn to do that, you won't have a problem viewing the LCD.

But will also add it does depend on what camera you use - a camera without an LCD or a bigger 2/3 chip camera that usually doesn't have an LCD, then yeah, get a monitor, but for your typical a1, DVX, z1u, I'd say your cash is better off spent on something else, especially the vest if you haven't gotten one yet LOL.

I actually work with Dave Williams - glidecam user/spokeperson/dealer etc - he never used a monitor. He sells training materials and I believe is taking orders for the new XT model that has two arms.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Again, REALLY appreciate the advice because when I purchase my stabalizer I won't have the funds to purchase a monitor as well.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Again, REALLY appreciate the advice because when I purchase my stabalizer I won't have the funds to purchase a monitor as well.
Yep, good point, I'm not that large on cash as well, have to be carefull LOL.

VEST is lightyears ahead of a monitor.

And even then, you can get by without a vest if you have a smaller 1/3 sensor camera. Just make sure you practice and master the handheld first, because the vest is a whole different beast and feels totally different. Frankly, while the vest takes pressure off of your arm and allows for longer glides, the vest lacks the mobility of the handheld unit, as well, you cannot FEEL the weight with the vest, so the handheld unit actually is better for more intricate glides PROVIDED you have the strength left. The vest is good for slow, more straight, and long glides. Vest also lacks mobility going up and down on an incline.

But I do recommend buying the vest, just make sure, to get the handheld unit down pat and not just spend 3 grand on a full rig - IMO that will just restrict the learning process.

But do get a vest purely because it's great as a portable tripod - that's why I like using it - during events, the handheld glidecam, zoomed in all the way, isn't great for static shots, but if you need a really stable and still shot of a speaker or presentation, the vest keeps the camera very static considering it has no legs on the ground.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques