Senior Promo Video for Photographer - $$$??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
Well you are Dreambigproductions. Counter with $350.
lol, a bit high, I was thinking I'd counter with $301, and then split the difference if the photog counter-offered.
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I think I may still get the job sometime down the road when the photog has saved up the money.
Probably not. Any business that can't manage to scrape together $1k "now" to get this done with the senior picture window closing is very small potatoes to begin with.

You basically "tripled" his own estimate and these types will never value video that much. It's like you're dealing with a low-end bride.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Really hate hearing/reading about things like this. I have had to deal with it for a while myself in other creative areas.

Everything with video takes about 10 times as long and 10 times the cost.

You would imagine that a creative person would realise himself that quality is not easy to come by and for the amount of people that MUST have said to him "thats a fancy camera you've got there, no wonder your good" he should work that backwards to other media types too and not just think "oh thats a fancy video camera, all you do it point it at things and a DVD comes out the other end"
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Is this photographer a small timer? Does he charge industry rates for his work? If he undercharges for his work, it'd be pretty difficult to convince him to accept your fees.

Competent wedding photographers charges at least $300/hr to shoot a 12 hour wedding, of course, you have to also factor in their post production hours on the album.. so use that as a reference point.

$900 is a fair price for what you are asking. $300 is BS.. $300 is what wedding photogs pay their assistance for 1 days of work.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Bruce View Post
"oh thats a fancy video camera, all you do it point it at things and a DVD comes out the other end"
What a great quote. You have hit the nail on the head with that one...
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Speaking as a photographer I agree 900.00 is reasonable, cheap even, especially if he is going to be using it as a cornerstone to his advertising an entire sector of his business. I would tell him that 900.00 is the discounted rate because he is a preferred vendor.

Bill
Bill Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #22
Inner Circle

The photog is definitely not a small timer; one of the best in the area actually, but I think the photog just didn't realize how much work is involved in this kind of stuff. I explained that I was giving a significant discount, so we'll see what happens.

I gotta say I like the comment about the camera producing the DVD, lol. Unfortunately it's also somewhat true. Most people have no idea how time consuming a video production project really is.
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
The photog is definitely not a small timer; one of the best in the area actually, but I think the photog just didn't realize how much work is involved in this kind of stuff. I explained that I was giving a significant discount, so we'll see what happens.
Just to be fair, us videographers don't give enough credit to photographers either. We just think it's compose n' snap, but when you're dealing with human subjects, it takes a lot of skills when it comes to posing and subject interaction. Although, if you have those skills naturally, then it definitely becomes an easy thing for you to do. That is something I've learned when I stepped into the photo world.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Just to be fair, us videographers don't give enough credit to photographers either. We just think it's compose n' snap, but when you're dealing with human subjects, it takes a lot of skills when it comes to posing and subject interaction. Although, if you have those skills naturally, then it definitely becomes an easy thing for you to do. That is something I've learned when I stepped into the photo world.
I would agree with you. The trouble for photographers is that we have all taken pictures, so there is this tendency to think that there isn't much to it. But a true professional photographer has an extensive skill set that the average shutter-bug doesn't.

The trouble for videographers is that most people HAVE NOT shot and edited their own video, so they have no clue what kind of time is involved ... not to mention the skill sets required.
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #25
Major Player

I, too, was going to say that $900 is a pretty low estimate.

Maybe you should have quoted him $3,000 and then he would have wanted it for $1,000. You'd then have an extra $100 to have a nice dinner to reward yourself ;)

All kidding aside, what I am finding more and more is that no matter what price you give them, they'll be shocked at how high it is, especially since video is sort of a luxury item. It's not as much of a "must have" as photography is. If your prices are fair and of good quality, your clients will see the value of the service you're providing for them and will go ahead with you. If not, either your quality of work isn't up to par (they don't see the value) or they weren't really that serious about it in the first place and were just fishing for a deal ($300 is a REALLY GOOD DEAL! ;)

Be fair but FIRM. We're not looking to make a killing, we just want fair compensation for our skill and time.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #26
Major Player

The worst is when you find yourself agreeing to do a job for a price that you know is ridiculous. Taken on board with the notion of it leading to more similar type jobs in the future. Thinking it will make a great sample.
The more work I find myself putting into these jobs the more frustrated I become.
Meanwhile the client is laughing at the extra bucks he has in his pocket.
I've decided no more of that crap for me.
Either they agree to my quotation, no haggling, or they go elsewhere (put nicely).
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
The worst is when you find yourself agreeing to do a job for a price that you know is ridiculous. Taken on board with the notion of it leading to more similar type jobs in the future. Thinking it will make a great sample.
The more work I find myself putting into these jobs the more frustrated I become.
Meanwhile the client is laughing at the extra bucks he has in his pocket.
I've decided no more of that crap for me.
Either they agree to my quotation, no haggling, or they go elsewhere (put nicely).
If I were doing this for a discounted rate in hopes of more business, I would include that in the contract, for instance, have the videographers name show up in the video ad

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques