Odd colours from data projector at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Odd colours from data projector

Don't think this one's been covered before, but apologies if it has.

This week I've been shooting a show in a small theatre, and I've used slightly tweaked tungsten WB settings to match, as far as possible, 4 different cameras (yes, I know that's asking for trouble but that's how it had to be). It was a live mix to hard drive each night.

The matching worked surprisingly well with the colours coming across convincingly, but I had an unexpected problem with images projected as part of the set from a data projector. Some of the colours used in the projected images were pretty far out eg purple recorded as light blue but the rest seemed fine. I can understand why the data projector lamp would be at a different colour temperature from the theatre lights, but not why only some colours seem to be affected. It looked very odd in the camera monitors, epecially on the Canon XH-A1 which was used to capture the projected images at scene changes.

Has anyone else come across this or can anyone suggest a solution?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Major Player
I don't have an answer for this, just an observation. I recently taped a presentation that used a projector for projecting video as well as power point slides. Part of the time I would have the camera on the projection. Occasionally the colors would start to change - like a color wheel was on the projector - . What was strange is that it didn't happen all the time just occasionally. Didn't bother me though as I had arranged to get copies of both the videos and PP to insert in post. Just strange.
Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!
Terry Esslinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques