Special Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Special Tripod

I'm wanting to place an unmanned camera in the middle of the isle on a tripod that has a small footprint (18" or so) and where the bottom of the camera is maybe 4" off of the floor. This is for an effect shot as the bridesmaids and groomsmen, plus the bride and father practically walk right over it during the processional. I need something real stable so it doesn't fall over if the brides dress covers it up as she goes down the isle.

Any reccommendations on brands and/or other ideas.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My only thought is a table-top tripod, but that's not going to be rock solid if the bride's dress makes contact with it (which it probably would).
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I wouldn't think it would "need" to be a tripod... would it? Couldn't you just find an appropriately sized [cardboard] box, then put sandbags in it to weight it down and support/stabilize the camera?

What make/model of camera is being used for this?
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Trustee

Spiderbrace

I know it's not a tripod, but would this be any use (resting on the floor)?

http://www.spiderbrace.com
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

A beanbag might be an answer - you know, one of those that sctews into the tripod socket. Other than that I'd use one of those very heavy short microphone stands - and hope the camera doesn't get kicked.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

We use Manfrotto self standing monopods and gaffer tape the legs to the floor.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Maybe you guys missed it but he said he wants it like 4 inches off of the ground. I think a monopod is still going to be too tall and a cardboard box with sandbags is going to be too large and obtrusive, not to mention kind of tacky for a wedding.

I own a Spiderbrace, and I don't think this will work well either for 2 reasons. First, it's likely to get kicked with people walking past it and there's not much of a way to secure it solidly to a floor. Second, it's not actually level with the ground when you place it on the ground. I've tried to do shots with it on the ground but I always have to compensate manually because it will lean to the side due to the way the arms are.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just found a Manfrotto Hi-Hat 529B. This should work perfectly.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Cool looking tripod! That's what I had in mind when I suggested a table-top tripod, although that one looks nicer than most I've seen.

Make sure you post a clip to show off the footage and let us know how the shoot went.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Tom -

Take a look at the Ultrapod and the Ultrapod II - I keep those, a pedco clamp pod, plus a couple cheaper clamp type camera supports in my "I have no idea why I have this until I need it" portion of the kit. I typically shoot smaller cams, and the aforementioned minipods are perfect.

The clamp type pods saved my bacon more than once - all you need is a sturdy pipe, shelf, railing, etc. Most have a 90 degree swivel head of some sort, and could be clamped to a pew or chair to do exactly what you want.

I even have a suction cup type mount in the aforementioned kit... still have no idea why... I pick up these odd sorts of "orphan" camera mounts on eBay for next to nothing (never more than 1/10th of what that Manfrotto you referenced runs...), and then just wait for the proper moment to whip them out and go "AH-HA"!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I do a similar shot when filming. I use a bogen backlight stand, Bogen / Manfrotto484RC2 Mini Ballhead, ManfrottoRapid Adapter - 5/8" Stud to 1/4-20" Thread combo. What's great is I use these accessories in other applications during the reception also.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I use a stickypod for these kind of things, My work is mainly in theatres, so I have a couple of these that I fit with a consumer DV camera, and just place on stage, up-shots of the drums, hidden behind monitors, etc. The rubber pads act as a shock absorber, and mounting the knuckle directly to the plate alows a really low angle. In fact, I rarely stick the things onto vehicles, and just use them as the OP is looking for - low angle stable tripods.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
This is for an effect shot as the bridesmaids and groomsmen, plus the bride and father practically walk right over it during the processional.
Are you really going to leave this thing sitting on the floor as each pair straddles it? Sounds great in theory but I doubt an entire wedding party will manage to miss it.

I have see one videographer do something similar though... he has somebody sit in the last pew, then as the bride walks by they immediately sit it on the floor behind her (on a little tripod about 4" high) where it stays the whole ceremony.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Yeah, I could see it maybe surviving the wedding part walking by (maybe), but I would bet the bride's dress is going to catch on it.
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I'll try a couple of fake runs here at the office with a dress from my wife's collection just to see what might happen....I'll wear the dress...hee, hee
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques