Brand New "Save the Date" Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 80
Very nice Travis, definitely blows the other painting one out of the water, or I guess into the water in this case :) Very cool, the A1 definitely helps the look and feel.

Did you shoot the whole thing in 24f? I was just wondering because of the interlacing issues but you mentioned 24f.

24f slow-mo will be stuttery no matter what you do, but there is a plugin called Twixtor that can help with that, its amazing. I like to use a decent amount of slo mo so I had to get it since I shoot almost primarily in 24f.

So you got vignetting just using the normal lens? no filters or hoods?
__________________
I'm watching television... in color
http://www.prodigyvideo.com
Nathan Nazeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #17
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Nazeck View Post
Very nice Travis, definitely blows the other painting one out of the water, or I guess into the water in this case :) Very cool, the A1 definitely helps the look and feel.

Did you shoot the whole thing in 24f? I was just wondering because of the interlacing issues but you mentioned 24f.

24f slow-mo will be stuttery no matter what you do, but there is a plugin called Twixtor that can help with that, its amazing. I like to use a decent amount of slo mo so I had to get it since I shoot almost primarily in 24f.

So you got vignetting just using the normal lens? no filters or hoods?
Thank you. I agree that this one turned out better overall, although I liked the actual painting in the other one more .. it was more artistic.

I did shoot the whole thing in 24F, but my understanding is that Canon's 24F is still not true progressive. I think that's why both of the 24F modes have pull-down associated with them, because they are technically shot interlaced on the CCD? I don't know for sure. The whole HD thing and 24F/P thing is all very confusing to me. I did read somewhere on here to use the 2:3:3:2 pulldown with 24F on the Canon instead of the 2:3 pulldown. I read that AFTER this shoot of course. Oh well.

I'd love to get Twixtor, but it costs money, lol. Usually my slo-mo looks really good, but this footage I noticed has a double frame around every 4 frames, so the slo-mo ends up with some chop. I really think the 2:3:3:2 mode might solve that, since it drops the 3:3 frame combo (which is probably the duplicate frame I'm seeing).

Regarding the vignette, now that you mention it I did have a UV filter and a circular polarizing filter on. But even so, in FCP the vignette appears outside the visible screen area, so it won't show up on a television because it gets cropped out. It just doesn't get cropped for an online version. However, when I actually post the video online for the couple I do a manual crop to ensure it plays online as it would on a TV.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 80
Hey Travis,
The ccd's themselves are not progressive but the A1 process's it into progressive 24 frames and there actually isn't any pulldown. There are only 24 frames, no duplicates. If you capture as 1080p24 in fcp you should not have any interlacing. Each frame should be clean as clean can be and you shouldn't have to do any pulldown stuff.
Just have the timeline setup for hdv1080p24 and have the render set up for prores422 and its smooth sailing.
On the final Dvd the player itself actually will add the extra frames back in to make it 29.97 suitable for a regular tv.


The vignetting could actually be an issue if any of your clients have lcd's or plasma's. Flat screens don't really overscan like a Tv will so the vignetting will be visible just like on Vimeo.
__________________
I'm watching television... in color
http://www.prodigyvideo.com
Nathan Nazeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #19
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Nazeck View Post
Hey Travis,
The ccd's themselves are not progressive but the A1 process's it into progressive 24 frames and there actually isn't any pulldown. There are only 24 frames, no duplicates. If you capture as 1080p24 in fcp you should not have any interlacing. Each frame should be clean as clean can be and you shouldn't have to do any pulldown stuff.
Just have the timeline setup for hdv1080p24 and have the render set up for prores422 and its smooth sailing.
On the final Dvd the player itself actually will add the extra frames back in to make it 29.97 suitable for a regular tv.


The vignetting could actually be an issue if any of your clients have lcd's or plasma's. Flat screens don't really overscan like a Tv will so the vignetting will be visible just like on Vimeo.
I just discovered what part of my problem is. Although I captured the footage correctly, and my rough cut sequence had the proper settings, when I created a new sequence for the final edit it somehow reverted that sequence's settings back to non-HD settings. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get a sequence edited with the non-HD settings into a sequence with HD settings. I'm worried I might have to re-edit the whole video. I made another post regarding this dilemma:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...325#post908325

If you or anyone else has any suggestions, please please please let me know. It seems to me that I should be able to just copy and paste the edit from one sequence to another, since the clip files in a sequence are really just pointers back to the original footage. However, this is not working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Posts: 313
I found this quite enjoyable, however not as much as others here! why....

For the most part it was straightforward and well shot,I did not look at it and say 'how was that done, I would like to be able to do that!'... I definately think the colour balance is wrong with far too much orange in the skintones.

Otherwise, yes it was ok.

Cheers
John De Rienzo
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #21
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Rienzo View Post
I found this quite enjoyable, however not as much as others here! why....

For the most part it was straightforward and well shot,I did not look at it and say 'how was that done, I would like to be able to do that!'... I definately think the colour balance is wrong with far too much orange in the skintones.

Otherwise, yes it was ok.

Cheers
John De Rienzo
Thanks for the comments, John. I'm going to look at the coloring and see what I can do differently.

As for straightforward shots, well, I guess I wasn't really trying to come up with shots that make you guys scratch your heads. My goal isn't to impress other videographers, it's to create something that's meaningful to the couple and the average viewer. Although the shot of them driving together from outside the passenger window SHOULD impress you a little bit. I was literally hanging outside the backseat window filming them while they were driving 50mph down the road!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #22
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Thanks for the comments, John. I'm going to look at the coloring and see what I can do differently.

As for straightforward shots, well, I guess I wasn't really trying to come up with shots that make you guys scratch your heads. My goal isn't to impress other videographers, it's to create something that's meaningful to the couple and the average viewer. Although the shot of them driving together from outside the passenger window SHOULD impress you a little bit. I was literally hanging outside the backseat window filming them while they were driving 50mph down the road!
I was actually looking at that shot thinking about what you had to do to get it. I've found myself hanging out of a moving vehicle way too many times. that shot was great.
__________________
I'm watching television... in color
http://www.prodigyvideo.com
Nathan Nazeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #23
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Nazeck View Post
I was actually looking at that shot thinking about what you had to do to get it. I've found myself hanging out of a moving vehicle way too many times. that shot was great.
lol, thanks. The funny thing was I was more nervous about filming with my brand new A1 on a 6-foot-wide dock over water than I was about hanging most of my body out of a moving car, heh.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #24
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
I created a different color look and would like some feedback. The clip is only 12 seconds long, so it's a quick view. Here's the link:

http://www.vimeo.com/1354985


Thanks!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I created a different color look and would like some feedback. The clip is only 12 seconds long, so it's a quick view. Here's the link:

http://www.vimeo.com/1354985


Thanks!
Hey Travis,

That looks way better! I loaded both of them in Firefox so I could flip back and forwards - the new clip is a big improvement.

It has a much cooler vibe (not colour temp but cool as in .... well ... cool!) - and the red/orange tone is gone.

Good job!

Cheers,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #26
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
Hey Travis,

That looks way better! I loaded both of them in Firefox so I could flip back and forwards - the new clip is a big improvement.

It has a much cooler vibe (not colour temp but cool as in .... well ... cool!) - and the red/orange tone is gone.

Good job!

Cheers,

Matthew.
Well, I guess that's good then. I really wanted a warm, tropical feel to the video, and I feel like the new version doesn't give that, but maybe I was just over the top with it before. Coloring is going to be the death of me!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 231
What a awesome save the date video! Rather than take the couple to location and take a nice shot, you put a story into the video that the viewer (not just the B&G) would like to watch it till the end.

I really enjoy watching this Save the Date and I believe that you gave lots of us a direction to produce their Save the Date.

There is so much I can learn from you!
__________________
S.O.D.E Wedding Video(NZ): www.sode.co.nz
SiuChung Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #28
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung View Post
What a awesome save the date video! Rather than take the couple to location and take a nice shot, you put a story into the video that the viewer (not just the B&G) would like to watch it till the end.

I really enjoy watching this Save the Date and I believe that you gave lots of us a direction to produce their Save the Date.

There is so much I can learn from you!
Thank you so much for the kind words, SiuChung. I'm trying to develop more ideas beyond this painting concept, so that I keep a variety going.

Any thoughts on the coloring of the video?
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #29
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Thank you so much for the kind words, SiuChung. I'm trying to develop more ideas beyond this painting concept, so that I keep a variety going.

Any thoughts on the coloring of the video?
I've got an idea is the couple draw their date on sand. In my area, there are many beach can do that...

I never did a Save the Date before but if I've got the same footage and footage, I would go for a colorful style, increase the sat and try to bring out the blue and green. Anyway, what customer prefer is very important as well.
__________________
S.O.D.E Wedding Video(NZ): www.sode.co.nz
SiuChung Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #30
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 259
Awwww.........mushy girl here..........I LOVED it! Definitely had a more "fun & relaxed" vibe than the first one you shot (which I also loved!).

I liked the second color correction best!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network