DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Overall update and a new Highlight Vignette (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/129934-overall-update-new-highlight-vignette.html)

Glen Elliott September 11th, 2008 08:49 AM

Overall update and a new Highlight Vignette

Hello everyone- My appologies for not being around much lately. A lot has been going on with me- for one I got engaged and am now planning my OWN wedding next February. :)

Additionally I've been balancing my videography business with my full time day-job (of 12 years). Now I'm preparing to go full time with with my videography...finally! It's exciting but very nerve-racking to say the least.

Anyway I've primarily been sharing trailers in recent months so I figured I'd share an actuall highlights: http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/dariahighlights.mov

Mary Angelini September 11th, 2008 11:08 AM

Very nicely done. Congratulations on your engagement!

Chad Whelan September 11th, 2008 11:54 AM

Looks good! What cameras were used for this event?

Glen Elliott September 11th, 2008 12:36 PM

Thank you both. Canon A1s.

Monday Isa September 11th, 2008 12:40 PM

Hey Glen! Glad to hear she said yes, Congratulations! I wish you best on this stepping stone of life both in your new marriage awaiting you and also going full-time with he videography business. Does that mean I'll get my video sooner when I get married? :p

Top notch highlight. I enjoyed every bit of it and really dig the voice over use. Good gliding throughout as well. You manage to work around the red reception hall quite well, though I hear that red is a problem for HDV you managed to get around it. Have you noticed the XHA1's pushing a little red on the faces? I'm noticing that with my A1. I'm using a altered reality preset that I like but notice the push. Thanks for sharing. So whose the videographer for your wedding? Or is that last on the list :p

Take Care
Monday

Glen Elliott September 12th, 2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 933202)
Hey Glen! Glad to hear she said yes, Congratulations! I wish you best on this stepping stone of life both in your new marriage awaiting you and also going full-time with he videography business. Does that mean I'll get my video sooner when I get married? :p

Top notch highlight. I enjoyed every bit of it and really dig the voice over use. Good gliding throughout as well. You manage to work around the red reception hall quite well, though I hear that red is a problem for HDV you managed to get around it. Have you noticed the XHA1's pushing a little red on the faces? I'm noticing that with my A1. I'm using a altered reality preset that I like but notice the push. Thanks for sharing. So whose the videographer for your wedding? Or is that last on the list :p

Take Care
Monday

Thanks Monday. Ya know I haven't really noticed a red push on skin tones but I'm using a custom preset that I designed. The A1s are indeed "warmer" than Sony cams but I've grown to like the look.

Who's shooting mine? Oh jeez- Darrell is trying to set up a Event DV25 Dream Team of shooters. lol

Bill Grant September 12th, 2008 08:05 AM

Wait a minute Glen, You're quitting the day job right before the wedding? So Jerome now you... This videography thing might not be so bad then afterall eh? Good to hear about all your stuff going on. Congrats!
Bill

Glen Elliott September 12th, 2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Grant (Post 933718)
Wait a minute Glen, You're quitting the day job right before the wedding? So Jerome now you... This videography thing might not be so bad then afterall eh? Good to hear about all your stuff going on. Congrats!
Bill

Hey man, you beat me to the punch by OVER a year. Let me say though, leaving my secure State job of 12 years (w/ pension, benefits, etc) is quite unsettling. Needless to say there has been a lot of prayer on my part for this transition.

Bill Grant September 12th, 2008 09:31 AM

Hey,
It's Always unsettling. I left my job after 11 years, so I gotcha. I found pretty good health insurance for me, and then my family when the wife went fulltime (back in May) with Mega. We're on a decent HSA at about $350 month. You should be able to find something relatively cheap for you being single and all... Everything else is gravy. good luck! And glad you took the plunge in both areas...
Bill

Monday Isa September 12th, 2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott (Post 933698)
Oh jeez- Darrell is trying to set up a Event DV25 Dream Team of shooters. lol

I hope they all shoot HD and if they do they've got to do a matrix style stop motion on your exit out of the church ^_^ that would be sweet to watch for sure

Oleg Kalyan September 12th, 2008 02:35 PM

Glenn,
Really enjoyed highlight, it's "my kind" for sure!
You've told the story, did it in a pure way, not too much slow mo if any, was it?, felt to me authentic and uncontrived: )
Precise editing to the points of expression, nothing externally created/motivated...
(For me criteria of a great work is, how much to I empathize with the subject matter, objects and how little do I see/realize the
presence of the camera, and a man behind it!) You've got it nicely there, my colleague!

Love how you've treated the colors, that rich saturated look with slightly crushed blacks,
very cinematic, ( Canon cameras can do it nicely keeping a great skin tone)
you've made A1 look like a million bucks : )

(I tell some of my Russian colleagues, how important is to keep highlights from clipping,
managing great skin tone, of a nice way of crushing blacks...they keep replying about .... crushing whites: ))

Later on going to reddish treatment kept my viewing interest fresh!

A little critique, so to balance it out:

zooming ... I am a "Zoom Hater" : ) , the very thing that can make a great video, look home 'videoish", you've had it just a bit ...
Overall, a little long piece, just drugged a bit in the middle, the priest part. Possibly more angles on his could've helped,

I should say this is probaly one of the best highlights I've seen on this forum and probably the best work seen lately, imho : )

One question, was it a Jewish wedding? I am talking about B&G raised on the chairs, I filmed very similar ritual at a wedding, a week ago, in Monte Carlo.
B&G managed to kiss being on separate chairs, that was awesome! Two dads were raised on chairs later as well!
Or is it done in the West in different traditions as well?

Keep great work coming!

Cheers! Congrats on your wedding!!!

PS
Who is the singer? Great song!