Overall update and a new Highlight Vignette at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Wrangler

Overall update and a new Highlight Vignette

Hello everyone- My appologies for not being around much lately. A lot has been going on with me- for one I got engaged and am now planning my OWN wedding next February. :)

Additionally I've been balancing my videography business with my full time day-job (of 12 years). Now I'm preparing to go full time with with my videography...finally! It's exciting but very nerve-racking to say the least.

Anyway I've primarily been sharing trailers in recent months so I figured I'd share an actuall highlights: http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/dariahighlights.mov
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Very nicely done. Congratulations on your engagement!
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Looks good! What cameras were used for this event?
Chad Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Thank you both. Canon A1s.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Glen! Glad to hear she said yes, Congratulations! I wish you best on this stepping stone of life both in your new marriage awaiting you and also going full-time with he videography business. Does that mean I'll get my video sooner when I get married? :p

Top notch highlight. I enjoyed every bit of it and really dig the voice over use. Good gliding throughout as well. You manage to work around the red reception hall quite well, though I hear that red is a problem for HDV you managed to get around it. Have you noticed the XHA1's pushing a little red on the faces? I'm noticing that with my A1. I'm using a altered reality preset that I like but notice the push. Thanks for sharing. So whose the videographer for your wedding? Or is that last on the list :p

Take Care
Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Hey Glen! Glad to hear she said yes, Congratulations! I wish you best on this stepping stone of life both in your new marriage awaiting you and also going full-time with he videography business. Does that mean I'll get my video sooner when I get married? :p

Top notch highlight. I enjoyed every bit of it and really dig the voice over use. Good gliding throughout as well. You manage to work around the red reception hall quite well, though I hear that red is a problem for HDV you managed to get around it. Have you noticed the XHA1's pushing a little red on the faces? I'm noticing that with my A1. I'm using a altered reality preset that I like but notice the push. Thanks for sharing. So whose the videographer for your wedding? Or is that last on the list :p

Take Care
Monday
Thanks Monday. Ya know I haven't really noticed a red push on skin tones but I'm using a custom preset that I designed. The A1s are indeed "warmer" than Sony cams but I've grown to like the look.

Who's shooting mine? Oh jeez- Darrell is trying to set up a Event DV25 Dream Team of shooters. lol
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Wait a minute Glen, You're quitting the day job right before the wedding? So Jerome now you... This videography thing might not be so bad then afterall eh? Good to hear about all your stuff going on. Congrats!
Bill
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Wait a minute Glen, You're quitting the day job right before the wedding? So Jerome now you... This videography thing might not be so bad then afterall eh? Good to hear about all your stuff going on. Congrats!
Bill
Hey man, you beat me to the punch by OVER a year. Let me say though, leaving my secure State job of 12 years (w/ pension, benefits, etc) is quite unsettling. Needless to say there has been a lot of prayer on my part for this transition.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey,
It's Always unsettling. I left my job after 11 years, so I gotcha. I found pretty good health insurance for me, and then my family when the wife went fulltime (back in May) with Mega. We're on a decent HSA at about $350 month. You should be able to find something relatively cheap for you being single and all... Everything else is gravy. good luck! And glad you took the plunge in both areas...
Bill
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Oh jeez- Darrell is trying to set up a Event DV25 Dream Team of shooters. lol
I hope they all shoot HD and if they do they've got to do a matrix style stop motion on your exit out of the church ^_^ that would be sweet to watch for sure
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Glenn,
Really enjoyed highlight, it's "my kind" for sure!
You've told the story, did it in a pure way, not too much slow mo if any, was it?, felt to me authentic and uncontrived: )
Precise editing to the points of expression, nothing externally created/motivated...
(For me criteria of a great work is, how much to I empathize with the subject matter, objects and how little do I see/realize the
presence of the camera, and a man behind it!) You've got it nicely there, my colleague!

Love how you've treated the colors, that rich saturated look with slightly crushed blacks,
very cinematic, ( Canon cameras can do it nicely keeping a great skin tone)
you've made A1 look like a million bucks : )

(I tell some of my Russian colleagues, how important is to keep highlights from clipping,
managing great skin tone, of a nice way of crushing blacks...they keep replying about .... crushing whites: ))

Later on going to reddish treatment kept my viewing interest fresh!

A little critique, so to balance it out:

zooming ... I am a "Zoom Hater" : ) , the very thing that can make a great video, look home 'videoish", you've had it just a bit ...
Overall, a little long piece, just drugged a bit in the middle, the priest part. Possibly more angles on his could've helped,

I should say this is probaly one of the best highlights I've seen on this forum and probably the best work seen lately, imho : )

One question, was it a Jewish wedding? I am talking about B&G raised on the chairs, I filmed very similar ritual at a wedding, a week ago, in Monte Carlo.
B&G managed to kiss being on separate chairs, that was awesome! Two dads were raised on chairs later as well!
Or is it done in the West in different traditions as well?

Keep great work coming!

Cheers! Congrats on your wedding!!!

PS
Who is the singer? Great song!

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; September 12th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques