Artistic flow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Artistic flow?

so when it comes to setting up shots... how do you guys do it. I have some good ideas but once mixed with the music in my timeline it doesn't turn out as well as i would have hoped. Do you select the music first, then play out the shots in your head? Is it all natural and just going with the flow? Any ideas would be great.
steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Major Player

let's take for example the bridal party getting ready in the morning....

the couple always have their song lists ready for me before the wedding, so i generally aim to have a upbeat, faster-paced song for this section of the day. so i'll film in a manner which suits that.
but that's not to say you can't film in a way that would suit a slow or fast song. I find too that there's always ways to change the look in post-production. i.e. where you've zoomed in to something quickly whilst recording, you could use that instead of cutting it, and make it look deliberate for the song.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
i.e. where you've zoomed in to something quickly whilst recording, you could use that instead of cutting it, and make it look deliberate for the song.
Great suggestion... something I have thought about before, but haven't done yet. I see others doing this, but it always feels "akward" to me. Something I need to get over because it can add a nice artistic touch to some pieces.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Do you select the music first, then play out the shots in your head? Is it all natural and just going with the flow? Any ideas would be great.
steve
Sometimes. Depends on the couple. I just did one where the couple was very shy so I did more of a doco approach and one I did before that they were as open to playing for the camera as hollywood actors-made the shoot a lot easier from the standpoint of shooting for the music for particular sections of the product.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Major Player

We get the couples song list before the day and load it up on the ipod which goes in the car and listen to their selections when travelling. Gives me an idea to their tastes and style. The ones who liked the Jam and other far out stuff was a little hard.

Highlights we see as total creative freedom, so far we use songs not the couples choice but it always works out for the best. The main movie features their songs plus whatever we see fits the bill.

Same as richard though. I watch through to see what's there and find a song to fit and you just get a 'feeling' for what works. Sometimes I edit, it fits the beat but just doesnt work and doesnt give you the happy feeling you want.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques