DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Video Light Sugestions. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/140901-video-light-sugestions.html)

Denny Kyser January 5th, 2009 08:47 AM

Video Light Sugestions.

I am looking for a video light for receptions, and probably never use a softbox so looking for a light that will last, and have available accessories when I need them. I also have an Anton Bauer Battary which I believe can run this light that was mentioned on here some time ago.

This is the light I was thinking about, was hoping to get some input from those who have it, or used one.
Lowel | ID-Light Focus Flood Light, Cigarette Lighter | ID-01

are there better lights now, or is this still a good option.

John Stakes January 5th, 2009 09:39 AM

I see that light has a dimmer. FWIW, make sure whatever light you get that this is available.

JS

Philip Gioja January 5th, 2009 11:02 AM

I just purchased one of these for my last wedding:

Litepanels | LPMICRO Micro LED on Camera Light | LP-MICRO | B&H

The light is very directional, which is actually nice for the guests because it's not as annoying. It has a dimmer so that's cool. The casing is lightweight plastic so it feels a bit fragile, but it doesn't heat up at all, and it'll run for like 2 hours on 4 AA batteries (6-7 on lithium AAs), so for me it's a winner.

Josh Swan January 5th, 2009 11:20 AM

I guess it all depends if you want an on camera light, or a stand light. The one that you mentioned up top will need a stand as well.

Don Bloom January 5th, 2009 01:30 PM

The I light can be worked on camera and I've been touting the LP Micro since I got right after it came out BUT like any piece of gear it has it's limitations.
First it's a 25W light which after using the diffusion and 1/4 CTO to warm things up a bit it's effective wattage is around 18 to 20. 2nd, the trhow is limited like any light. Even when I used my Anton Bauer with a 35 or 50W bulb and softbox the throw of the light was limited. IOW, you won't be lighting the entire room with it, 8 to 10 feet is about all she wrote. When I use my WA lens attachment on my PD170 at the wide end of the lens there is a bit of fall off at the corners, not too much and really objectionable but I know it's there.
While the plastic body does seem to be fragile mine never comes off the camera and has been tipped, topped and even dropped. Nothing broke and while I don't recommend doing any of those thing to any light (or any other peice of equipment) it does happen and I was either very lucky or it is a testament to the way the LP Micro is built that it didn't break. Maybe a bit of both. I love the LP Micro if for no other reason it eliminates the need to wear the battery belt and kills off the big bulky heavy battery attached to the light. 4 AA rechargables get me 4 to 6 hours per set and I rarely if ever have to change batteries at the reception. To me it was worth the money.
YMMV
Don

Denny Kyser January 5th, 2009 10:08 PM

Thanks guys, I believe I will try the LP, I seldom put it on camera, usually put whatever light I am using on a lightstand so I have a little more control.

Denny