Video Light Sugestions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Video Light Sugestions.

I am looking for a video light for receptions, and probably never use a softbox so looking for a light that will last, and have available accessories when I need them. I also have an Anton Bauer Battary which I believe can run this light that was mentioned on here some time ago.

This is the light I was thinking about, was hoping to get some input from those who have it, or used one.
Lowel | ID-Light Focus Flood Light, Cigarette Lighter | ID-01

are there better lights now, or is this still a good option.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

I see that light has a dimmer. FWIW, make sure whatever light you get that this is available.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

I just purchased one of these for my last wedding:

Litepanels | LPMICRO Micro LED on Camera Light | LP-MICRO | B&H

The light is very directional, which is actually nice for the guests because it's not as annoying. It has a dimmer so that's cool. The casing is lightweight plastic so it feels a bit fragile, but it doesn't heat up at all, and it'll run for like 2 hours on 4 AA batteries (6-7 on lithium AAs), so for me it's a winner.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I guess it all depends if you want an on camera light, or a stand light. The one that you mentioned up top will need a stand as well.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The I light can be worked on camera and I've been touting the LP Micro since I got right after it came out BUT like any piece of gear it has it's limitations.
First it's a 25W light which after using the diffusion and 1/4 CTO to warm things up a bit it's effective wattage is around 18 to 20. 2nd, the trhow is limited like any light. Even when I used my Anton Bauer with a 35 or 50W bulb and softbox the throw of the light was limited. IOW, you won't be lighting the entire room with it, 8 to 10 feet is about all she wrote. When I use my WA lens attachment on my PD170 at the wide end of the lens there is a bit of fall off at the corners, not too much and really objectionable but I know it's there.
While the plastic body does seem to be fragile mine never comes off the camera and has been tipped, topped and even dropped. Nothing broke and while I don't recommend doing any of those thing to any light (or any other peice of equipment) it does happen and I was either very lucky or it is a testament to the way the LP Micro is built that it didn't break. Maybe a bit of both. I love the LP Micro if for no other reason it eliminates the need to wear the battery belt and kills off the big bulky heavy battery attached to the light. 4 AA rechargables get me 4 to 6 hours per set and I rarely if ever have to change batteries at the reception. To me it was worth the money.
YMMV
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys, I believe I will try the LP, I seldom put it on camera, usually put whatever light I am using on a lightstand so I have a little more control.

Denny

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques