DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   CL confusion... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/177648-cl-confusion.html)

Alex Sprinkle April 9th, 2009 08:47 AM

CL confusion...

Saw this on Craigslist: Wedding Videographer Needed

I'm not sure if the person is to edit it or not. How do I put titles on there? Hold up cards? And, once the wedding is done, the CL'ers job is done. Except, you know, logging, capturing, editing, and burning.

It IS $175, though. Very very tempting to do an entire wedding for all that money.

Noel Lising April 9th, 2009 08:52 AM

Hi Alex,

I don't know what the going rate in your location is but I would'nt do it for less than $ 350.00. To rent a camera alone is $ 150 plus your 4-5 hours of shoot, but it's just my opinion & it is up to you to decide.

With regards to the title, depending on what camera you own, there's a title function that goes with it. It is best to double check if that is what they wanted.

Dawn Brennan April 9th, 2009 08:55 AM

I am going to guess that there is some sarcasm here...

LOL... we have had a few CL posting like this in my area. Hours and hours of work (made sound like nothing at all) for pennies an hour.

Alex Sprinkle April 9th, 2009 09:10 AM

Yeah, sorry Noel ... I tend to be sarcastic a lot. Especially when they're asking for a price I wouldn't give to a close friend (because if they were REALLY that close, I'd be IN the wedding). CL has some real works there sometimes. It's rare to see a wedding videographer requested, but this is nuts!

Matthew Craggs April 9th, 2009 09:10 AM

For curiosity sake I did a Google search for that e-mail address. The site shows what kind of person you're dealing with. Even if you can get past all of the spelling mistakes, you have to pay to see a demo.

Noel Lising April 9th, 2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 1070925)
Yeah, sorry Noel ... I tend to be sarcastic a lot. Especially when they're asking for a price I wouldn't give to a close friend (because if they were REALLY that close, I'd be IN the wedding). CL has some real works there sometimes. It's rare to see a wedding videographer requested, but this is nuts!

Hahaha. It's okay, it is funny how some people like to take advantage of other people. There was a listing at Craigslist before, wanted wedding videographer, will feed you and you will get to work with a wonderful photographer. Yeah right, I'd rather work with a not so wonderful photog and get paid.

Alex Sprinkle April 9th, 2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 1071038)
I'd rather work with a not so wonderful photog and get paid.

Ha! Yeah, seriously!

I googled his e-mail and found his site too. He's charging $600 for exactly what he pays you $175 for. I guess that's just a finders fee? My favorite part was the page about all the things that the brides said ... one of which (out of 2 total) was just a request to save a date for them.

Chris Davis April 9th, 2009 10:06 AM

Wow, $7 to view his on-line demo? I find it inconceivable that anyone would ever pay.

Alex Sprinkle April 9th, 2009 10:39 AM

HELP! I Still Have Not Recieved Wedding Videos!!! (LONG READ) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

check out that guys story. Kinda sad. I wish I heard the end of it.

Ken Diewert April 9th, 2009 09:56 PM

Wow, I actually read through all that... somehow I don't think he'll be getting a referral from them. Maybe he should download SiuCheung's Excel Job Costing spreadsheet.

Tom Alexander April 9th, 2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 1071173)

My conscience would never allow me to string someone along like that. Never. If you underbid a job and its your own fault, be a professional, take the financial hit and learn from it. This was clearly a scam. These are the horror stories that couples fear when they leave deposits.

Jason Robinson April 11th, 2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs (Post 1070926)
For curiosity sake I did a Google search for that e-mail address. The site shows what kind of person you're dealing with. Even if you can get past all of the spelling mistakes, you have to pay to see a demo.

wow... I did the same search and they charge to view their demo???? Who does that?

Tom Sherwood April 11th, 2009 01:36 PM

Wow after reading the CraigsList-ing I feel sorry for any one who hires this scammer only to have him send some unknown person to shoot it... What a donkey.

I also read that other post that someone posted regarding this same dusch bag. There is a sucker born every minute. This guys is taking advantage of everyone from camera operator to customer. Four hundred, one dollars for a wedding shot and edited? People need to be more accountable and not so naive.

Terry Esslinger April 11th, 2009 01:48 PM

This is not a videographer, this is a scam (scum?) artist with large cajones. I am amazed at the restraint and patience the client displayed.

Bill Busby April 12th, 2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 1071173)

"Congrats... you won the bid!" Classic :D