CL confusion... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

CL confusion...

Saw this on Craigslist: Wedding Videographer Needed

I'm not sure if the person is to edit it or not. How do I put titles on there? Hold up cards? And, once the wedding is done, the CL'ers job is done. Except, you know, logging, capturing, editing, and burning.

It IS $175, though. Very very tempting to do an entire wedding for all that money.
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Alex,

I don't know what the going rate in your location is but I would'nt do it for less than $ 350.00. To rent a camera alone is $ 150 plus your 4-5 hours of shoot, but it's just my opinion & it is up to you to decide.

With regards to the title, depending on what camera you own, there's a title function that goes with it. It is best to double check if that is what they wanted.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am going to guess that there is some sarcasm here...

LOL... we have had a few CL posting like this in my area. Hours and hours of work (made sound like nothing at all) for pennies an hour.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, sorry Noel ... I tend to be sarcastic a lot. Especially when they're asking for a price I wouldn't give to a close friend (because if they were REALLY that close, I'd be IN the wedding). CL has some real works there sometimes. It's rare to see a wedding videographer requested, but this is nuts!
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Major Player

For curiosity sake I did a Google search for that e-mail address. The site shows what kind of person you're dealing with. Even if you can get past all of the spelling mistakes, you have to pay to see a demo.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
Yeah, sorry Noel ... I tend to be sarcastic a lot. Especially when they're asking for a price I wouldn't give to a close friend (because if they were REALLY that close, I'd be IN the wedding). CL has some real works there sometimes. It's rare to see a wedding videographer requested, but this is nuts!
Hahaha. It's okay, it is funny how some people like to take advantage of other people. There was a listing at Craigslist before, wanted wedding videographer, will feed you and you will get to work with a wonderful photographer. Yeah right, I'd rather work with a not so wonderful photog and get paid.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I'd rather work with a not so wonderful photog and get paid.
Ha! Yeah, seriously!

I googled his e-mail and found his site too. He's charging $600 for exactly what he pays you $175 for. I guess that's just a finders fee? My favorite part was the page about all the things that the brides said ... one of which (out of 2 total) was just a request to save a date for them.
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Trustee

Wow, $7 to view his on-line demo? I find it inconceivable that anyone would ever pay.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Major Player

HELP! I Still Have Not Recieved Wedding Videos!!! (LONG READ) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

check out that guys story. Kinda sad. I wish I heard the end of it.
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Wow, I actually read through all that... somehow I don't think he'll be getting a referral from them. Maybe he should download SiuCheung's Excel Job Costing spreadsheet.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
My conscience would never allow me to string someone along like that. Never. If you underbid a job and its your own fault, be a professional, take the financial hit and learn from it. This was clearly a scam. These are the horror stories that couples fear when they leave deposits.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
For curiosity sake I did a Google search for that e-mail address. The site shows what kind of person you're dealing with. Even if you can get past all of the spelling mistakes, you have to pay to see a demo.
wow... I did the same search and they charge to view their demo???? Who does that?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Wow after reading the CraigsList-ing I feel sorry for any one who hires this scammer only to have him send some unknown person to shoot it... What a donkey.

I also read that other post that someone posted regarding this same dusch bag. There is a sucker born every minute. This guys is taking advantage of everyone from camera operator to customer. Four hundred, one dollars for a wedding shot and edited? People need to be more accountable and not so naive.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Major Player

This is not a videographer, this is a scam (scum?) artist with large cajones. I am amazed at the restraint and patience the client displayed.
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
"Congrats... you won the bid!" Classic :D
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques