After the weddings over. at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 40
After the weddings over.

I just got home after another fine wedding day in cloudy sydney at 11.30pm and cannot sleep. I just realised that after a job when i get home, takes me a long time to fall asleep. I wake up at 6am every weekday for my fulltime job. I dont normally stay late on sundays but when i do i remedy it with some Jack Daniels and it works every time.. I tried alot of other ways but nothing else worked.

Does anyone else have this problem(not the alcoholic part) and if so how do you get to sleep.

p.s. i really am not an alcoholic it takes me 1 drink to get ummmmm sleepy.
Dany Badaoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Badaoui View Post
I just got home after another fine wedding day in cloudy sydney at 11.30pm and cannot sleep. I just realised that after a job when i get home, takes me a long time to fall asleep. I wake up at 6am every weekday for my fulltime job. I dont normally stay late on sundays but when i do i remedy it with some Jack Daniels and it works every time.. I tried alot of other ways but nothing else worked.

Does anyone else have this problem(not the alcoholic part) and if so how do you get to sleep.

p.s. i really am not an alcoholic it takes me 1 drink to get ummmmm sleepy.

I don't drink and never have and I have the same problem. It takes almost couple of hours to go to sleep when I get back home from wedding. It used to be same problem when I use to work at a call centre ages ago.

So welcome to the club:)
__________________
Jawad Mir / Cinematographer . Filmmaker
Film Style Weddings http://www.filmstyleweddings.com Jawad Mir http://www.jawadmir.com
Jawad Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,068
Same here, takes me a while to get to sleep as well, did a wedding this Friday and Saturday with only 3 hours of sleep inbetween. When I got home Saturday night I felt like drinking some red bulls but today I feel they ran over me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
When I get home from a typical wedding, I usually need a little TV time to unwind from the day no matter how tired I am. The drive home really soesn't do it for me which is probably just as well as driving requires some attention not a good time to unwind. Usually my wife is waiting up for me so we spend a few minutes talking about what we each did that day and after about 20 minutes or so it's time to hit the sack. I have no trouble falling asleep but that might be because I'm old who knows ;-)
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nicosia, CYPRUS
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
... Usually my wife is waiting up for me so we spend a few minutes talking about what we each did that day and after about 20 minutes or so it's time to hit the sack...
That is really very sweet! You are a lucky man Don having such a wonderful wife.
When I get home after a wedding a usually have a Chivas to unwind, then go to sleep and like everyone else it takes a while.

Stelios
__________________
My Blog: http://steliosc.blogspot.com
"I hope for nothing, I fear nothing, I am free" Nikos Kazantzakis
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
That is really very sweet! You are a lucky man Don having such a wonderful wife.
When I get home after a wedding a usually have a Chivas to unwind, then go to sleep and like everyone else it takes a while.

Stelios
Thanks but it has nothing to do with sweet. My wife falls asleep on the couch in the 'cozy corner' almost every night and her head bobs around like a spring loaded toy in a bouncing car so when I get home I wake her up, (so she doesn't hurt herself) ask her what she did that day since I left (read that to mean, 'how much did you spend today', she asks me what I had for dinner at the event and I rate dinner for her and thenmwe watch TV for a bit before going to bed. ;-)
BUT she DID just renew my contract when we celebrated our 40th anniversary so I'm happy about that since I'm too old to be "traded"
O|O
\__/
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Congrats Don!

And to the OP, I have the same problem. But I'm like that every night. I have to zone out for a while before I head to bed, and even then it can take 1-2 hours for me to fall asleep (sometimes longer). My brain just becomes more active when the lights go out.

I tried having a drink and that never seemed to help.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Thanks but it has nothing to do with sweet. My wife falls asleep on the couch in the 'cozy corner' almost every night and her head bobs around like a spring loaded toy in a bouncing car so when I get home I wake her up, (so she doesn't hurt herself) ask her what she did that day since I left (read that to mean, 'how much did you spend today', she asks me what I had for dinner at the event and I rate dinner for her and thenmwe watch TV for a bit before going to bed. ;-)
BUT she DID just renew my contract when we celebrated our 40th anniversary so I'm happy about that since I'm too old to be "traded"
O|O
\__/
40 is a big number...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Santo
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, what about motion picture?
website: www.papercranes.com.au | blog: www.weddingvideosydney.net
Susanto Widjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KLD, South Africa
Posts: 983
I've had trouble sleeping most of my life, usually after a 13 hour wedding I'll struggle to get out of the car after the long drive home, my legs don't want to walk anymore, I then start capturing tapes while I read all the latest happenings on the web. Even if I'm dead tired as soon as I sit in front of my PC I'll keep busy for hours. I give myself 15 minutes to fall asleep if I'm not out I'll get up and go back to work until I'm tired enough to sleep. Keeping a strictly balanced work schedule and going to the gym daily is about the only way I manage to sleep regularly, not getting enough sleep has many negative health effects.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:19 AM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Congrats Don!

And to the OP, I have the same problem. But I'm like that every night. I have to zone out for a while before I head to bed, and even then it can take 1-2 hours for me to fall asleep (sometimes longer). My brain just becomes more active when the lights go out.

I tried having a drink and that never seemed to help.
I have the productivity peak after dark which annoys my wife to no end. I can stay awake in front of a time line till the sun rises in the morning (as long as I am being productive that is), even if I was up at 9am or so the previous day. I just have the moments when I am completely in the editing groove and so I seize the opportunities and get lots of work done. Fortunately, that is also when things are cooler temperature wise, and when you live in a desert like we do, the temp can swing 30 degrees in June / July from daytime 80s-90s, to night time 50s or 60s.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nicosia, CYPRUS
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
...BUT she DID just renew my contract when we celebrated our 40th anniversary so I'm happy about that since I'm too old to be "traded"
O|O
\__/
Congtats Don. I am on my second marriage now (16 years) and I'm thinking about renewing the contract...

Stelios
__________________
My Blog: http://steliosc.blogspot.com
"I hope for nothing, I fear nothing, I am free" Nikos Kazantzakis
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network