After the weddings over. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 31st, 2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

After the weddings over.

I just got home after another fine wedding day in cloudy sydney at 11.30pm and cannot sleep. I just realised that after a job when i get home, takes me a long time to fall asleep. I wake up at 6am every weekday for my fulltime job. I dont normally stay late on sundays but when i do i remedy it with some Jack Daniels and it works every time.. I tried alot of other ways but nothing else worked.

Does anyone else have this problem(not the alcoholic part) and if so how do you get to sleep.

p.s. i really am not an alcoholic it takes me 1 drink to get ummmmm sleepy.
Dany Badaoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Badaoui View Post
I just got home after another fine wedding day in cloudy sydney at 11.30pm and cannot sleep. I just realised that after a job when i get home, takes me a long time to fall asleep. I wake up at 6am every weekday for my fulltime job. I dont normally stay late on sundays but when i do i remedy it with some Jack Daniels and it works every time.. I tried alot of other ways but nothing else worked.

Does anyone else have this problem(not the alcoholic part) and if so how do you get to sleep.

p.s. i really am not an alcoholic it takes me 1 drink to get ummmmm sleepy.

I don't drink and never have and I have the same problem. It takes almost couple of hours to go to sleep when I get back home from wedding. It used to be same problem when I use to work at a call centre ages ago.

So welcome to the club:)
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Same here, takes me a while to get to sleep as well, did a wedding this Friday and Saturday with only 3 hours of sleep inbetween. When I got home Saturday night I felt like drinking some red bulls but today I feel they ran over me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

When I get home from a typical wedding, I usually need a little TV time to unwind from the day no matter how tired I am. The drive home really soesn't do it for me which is probably just as well as driving requires some attention not a good time to unwind. Usually my wife is waiting up for me so we spend a few minutes talking about what we each did that day and after about 20 minutes or so it's time to hit the sack. I have no trouble falling asleep but that might be because I'm old who knows ;-)
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
... Usually my wife is waiting up for me so we spend a few minutes talking about what we each did that day and after about 20 minutes or so it's time to hit the sack...
That is really very sweet! You are a lucky man Don having such a wonderful wife.
When I get home after a wedding a usually have a Chivas to unwind, then go to sleep and like everyone else it takes a while.

Stelios
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
That is really very sweet! You are a lucky man Don having such a wonderful wife.
When I get home after a wedding a usually have a Chivas to unwind, then go to sleep and like everyone else it takes a while.

Stelios
Thanks but it has nothing to do with sweet. My wife falls asleep on the couch in the 'cozy corner' almost every night and her head bobs around like a spring loaded toy in a bouncing car so when I get home I wake her up, (so she doesn't hurt herself) ask her what she did that day since I left (read that to mean, 'how much did you spend today', she asks me what I had for dinner at the event and I rate dinner for her and thenmwe watch TV for a bit before going to bed. ;-)
BUT she DID just renew my contract when we celebrated our 40th anniversary so I'm happy about that since I'm too old to be "traded"
O|O
\__/
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Congrats Don!

And to the OP, I have the same problem. But I'm like that every night. I have to zone out for a while before I head to bed, and even then it can take 1-2 hours for me to fall asleep (sometimes longer). My brain just becomes more active when the lights go out.

I tried having a drink and that never seemed to help.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks but it has nothing to do with sweet. My wife falls asleep on the couch in the 'cozy corner' almost every night and her head bobs around like a spring loaded toy in a bouncing car so when I get home I wake her up, (so she doesn't hurt herself) ask her what she did that day since I left (read that to mean, 'how much did you spend today', she asks me what I had for dinner at the event and I rate dinner for her and thenmwe watch TV for a bit before going to bed. ;-)
BUT she DID just renew my contract when we celebrated our 40th anniversary so I'm happy about that since I'm too old to be "traded"
O|O
\__/
40 is a big number...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Santo
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Major Player

I've had trouble sleeping most of my life, usually after a 13 hour wedding I'll struggle to get out of the car after the long drive home, my legs don't want to walk anymore, I then start capturing tapes while I read all the latest happenings on the web. Even if I'm dead tired as soon as I sit in front of my PC I'll keep busy for hours. I give myself 15 minutes to fall asleep if I'm not out I'll get up and go back to work until I'm tired enough to sleep. Keeping a strictly balanced work schedule and going to the gym daily is about the only way I manage to sleep regularly, not getting enough sleep has many negative health effects.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Congrats Don!

And to the OP, I have the same problem. But I'm like that every night. I have to zone out for a while before I head to bed, and even then it can take 1-2 hours for me to fall asleep (sometimes longer). My brain just becomes more active when the lights go out.

I tried having a drink and that never seemed to help.
I have the productivity peak after dark which annoys my wife to no end. I can stay awake in front of a time line till the sun rises in the morning (as long as I am being productive that is), even if I was up at 9am or so the previous day. I just have the moments when I am completely in the editing groove and so I seize the opportunities and get lots of work done. Fortunately, that is also when things are cooler temperature wise, and when you live in a desert like we do, the temp can swing 30 degrees in June / July from daytime 80s-90s, to night time 50s or 60s.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:42 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
...BUT she DID just renew my contract when we celebrated our 40th anniversary so I'm happy about that since I'm too old to be "traded"
O|O
\__/
Congtats Don. I am on my second marriage now (16 years) and I'm thinking about renewing the contract...

Stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques