First Dance Clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mizomi
Any chance you could reactivate the link? I'd like to see it too
I'm sorry guys I had to take it down to allow a client to see a different piece online. I'm working on a piece I'm going to post this week now. It should be done in 1-2 days.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:29 AM   #17
Major Player

I'll add a vote to reactivate the link. :-)
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Me Too

Another Vote To Put The Clip Back Online. I'd Really Like To See It. I've Been Away For Awhile But Your Stuff Is Awesome, And I'd Really Like To See It. Can You Email The File?

Matt
Matt Trubac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:40 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
Another Vote To Put The Clip Back Online. I'd Really Like To See It. I've Been Away For Awhile But Your Stuff Is Awesome, And I'd Really Like To See It. Can You Email The File?

Matt
I just uploaded another clip- check the main listing under this room. You'll see the post.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:54 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Rodriguez
Hi Glenn, I was wondering if shooting into the sun has had any effects on your cameras. I have been involved with video for about 16 years. I started in high school and my instructor told me never to do that. When I went to college and took radio, television & film I was told the same thing. Both times the reason given was that it would "burn" into the camera and would damage it permanantly. Do you use a special filter on your lens to prevent damage? I have never dared to shoot any angle that has the sun in the background. I would like to add that your videos look great. I have seen most of the clips you post on this site and have always been amazed by your creativity. I hope that one day I can create works of art that can almost match your own. Keep up the great work!

Rene, shooting into the sun would damage the older style of video cameras that used a different kind of images device (I think they were called "tube-style" - not sure of the exact term - it's been a long time since I used one of those).

The cameras we all use today use chips so there is no problem shooting into the sun. What you DO have to worry about these days is NOT pointing the viewfinder up towards the sun, (sometimes happens when you carry the camera on a shoulder strap) The magnifier in the viewfinder can burn holes in your viewfinder lcd display (I've seen it happen on XL1 cameras)
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mizomi
The cameras we all use today use chips so there is no problem shooting into the sun.
Todd,

Are you sure about this?

Here's a quote from page 8 of the PD170 manual:
Quote:
Do not directly shoot the sun. Doing so might cause your camcorder to malfunction.
Take pictures of the sun in low light conditions such as dusk.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #22
Regular Crew

The manual says:

"Take pictures of the sun in low light conditions such as dusk."

Shooting into the sunset has never been a problem. I've also shot the sunrise on top of Haleakala Crater, and never had a problem.

I've used the DSR 300 and PD 150 in the past for many sunset weddings, and shooting into the sun has never been a problem. I believe the 170 is the same.

Two things you must be careful of is :

1. Don't tilt your viewfinder so that the sun can shine down through it - it will fry your viewfinder (it's like using a magnifying glass to fry ants)

2. Don't STARE directly into the sun - your EYES will eventually malfunction and they are not covered by any manufacturer's warranty that I am aware of.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:29 PM   #23
Regular Crew

monopod head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
No jib- just a monopod placed under my arm and raised high above my head to "simulate" a jib.
Glen,
Just wondering what kind of head do you use on the monopod for these shots?
Thanks!
Philip Skaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:43 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I believe he uses the head that came with his body....
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cook
I believe he uses the head that came with his body....
Ha!
O.K.... Let's get more specific..does he use a (fluid) video head with a "pan handle" or a "swivel tilt head" that traditionally is used with a monopod. The reason I ask is because in this forum I've seen that some say to use the swivel tilt and then I've seen that there are a few that have said that they get some "jib" type of shots using the monopod and a video fluid head- though it doesn't seem that this is the more traditional way of mounting a video camera on a monopod.
Thanks!
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:05 AM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Skaist
Ha!
O.K.... Let's get more specific..does he use a (fluid) video head with a "pan handle" or a "swivel tilt head" that traditionally is used with a monopod. The reason I ask is because in this forum I've seen that some say to use the swivel tilt and then I've seen that there are a few that have said that they get some "jib" type of shots using the monopod and a video fluid head- though it doesn't seem that this is the more traditional way of mounting a video camera on a monopod.
Thanks!

I use a tilt head- it doesn't pan...only tilt up or down. That way I can angle the camera downward slightly and get a top-down view without having to lift the bottom end of the monopod very high to acheive the angle.
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I use a tilt head- it doesn't pan...only tilt up or down. That way I can angle the camera downward slightly and get a top-down view without having to lift the bottom end of the monopod very high to acheive the angle.
Thanks, Glen...Just wondering though if I could get some extra maneuverability with a light pan head like the Bogen / Manfrotto 701RC2 which you can lock the pan if you don't need it or will it be a disadvantage...I really don't have enough experience with monopods yet to anticipate any potential problems. I did order the 682B monopod and 701RC2 head- also the Kenko .65 wa. I gambled on the 701CR2 being useful for this. I'm always looking for new ideas and techniques in making my wedding videos nicer . Any videos out there that you know of that clearly demonstrate techniques in using a monopod (and not using expensive jibs and rigs!) to get a more cinematic look?
Thanks!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:39 PM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Skaist
Thanks, Glen...Just wondering though if I could get some extra maneuverability with a light pan head like the Bogen / Manfrotto 701RC2 which you can lock the pan if you don't need it or will it be a disadvantage...I really don't have enough experience with monopods yet to anticipate any potential problems. I did order the 682B monopod and 701RC2 head- also the Kenko .65 wa. I gambled on the 701CR2 being useful for this. I'm always looking for new ideas and techniques in making my wedding videos nicer . Any videos out there that you know of that clearly demonstrate techniques in using a monopod (and not using expensive jibs and rigs!) to get a more cinematic look?
Thanks!
I don't use the monopod in a traditional way very often. I can see the benefit of having a pan head- but even if it doesn't pan you can always rotate the entire monopod (if your not using the leg extenders).

In regards to videos- there's is indeed one I HIGHLY recommend. "Moving Camera Techniques"- http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/videographers.shtml This video is fantastic- I've always wanted more detailed, visual explanations of handheld moving camera techniques. It's very comprehensive and has served as a core for a great deal of the techniques I employ in my shooting. In the video Mark goes over handheld techniques along with monopod and glidecam techniques.

In fact this video is the reason I invested in the bogen retractable legs for my monopod. Through his example I found a rather unorthadox way of using these legs to stabilize my high monopod shots.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques